Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What does this PH reading look like to you?

1. Back To Top    #1

What does this PH reading look like to you?

I apparently love to torture myself over my PH reading, staring at it until my eyes blur. This picture is accurate to what it looks like in real life. Would you add muriatic acid right now? And would you call this right at 8.0 or a tad lower? Hopefully I am not reading into this too much, I feel like I am making this difficult when it doesn't need to be.

IMG_2207.jpg
    22K gal, vinyl liner pool (rectangle 16x32), Hayward SwimPure 40k SWG/T-Cell-15, Polaris 280 pool cleaner. K-2006 test kit.
    In South Louisiana - pool gets full sun all day long, and stays open and maintained year round :)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What does this PH reading look like to you?

I can't tell if that matched 7.8 or 8.0, but regardless you should get it down to 7.4-7.6

I like that my pH holds at 7.4 as it is clearly more orange than red, and easier to distinguish.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Look at it this way, if it is more orange than an orange you need to drop the pH. If it is yellow like a banana you need to raise the pH. I would call this 8.0 for the sake of a starting level in poolmath. It also helps you to read the result if you hold a white index card behind the test block.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!! I will drop it down to 7.4-7.6.

I know when it is 7.6 I can very easily tell it is 7.6. It is when it gets between 7.8-8.0 (7.9-ish) that I torture myself.
    22K gal, vinyl liner pool (rectangle 16x32), Hayward SwimPure 40k SWG/T-Cell-15, Polaris 280 pool cleaner. K-2006 test kit.
    In South Louisiana - pool gets full sun all day long, and stays open and maintained year round :)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

the colors going from low pH to high pH are....

yellow 6.8 and lower
    yellow orange 7.0
    orange 7.2
    orange red 7.4-7.5
    red 7.6-7.8
    red violet 8.0
    violet 8.2 and higher
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Try using only 4 drops, for some reason its easier to read.
    Michigan - 24'x54" AG, approx 15,000g, 2 center drains, Cartridge filter, Aqua Pro 2hp, 2 speed pump 3.5a@1725w / 10.5a@3450w, AquaCal TropiCal T90 heat pump, Hayward Salt & Swim SWG, Poolskim, Aquabot Rover Jr.

7. Back To Top    #7

Probably easier to read outside toward the sun.

VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

8. Back To Top    #8

So using just 4 drops instead of 5 is totally fine and will still give an accurate reading?

9. Back To Top    #9

Give us a picture with a white background or the sky. Grey concrete in the sun is good too.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by rdbrya1 View Post
    So using just 4 drops instead of 5 is totally fine and will still give an accurate reading?
    Yes as it just changes the intensity of the color, not the tint.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

11. Back To Top    #11

Off topic, but nice deer in the background.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, cartridge filter, Jandy Legacy 175,000 BTU heater, unused Zodiak Nature2 mineral sanitizer

John 1:12 "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by rdbrya1 View Post
    Thanks!! I will drop it down to 7.4-7.6.

I know when it is 7.6 I can very easily tell it is 7.6. It is when it gets between 7.8-8.0 (7.9-ish) that I torture myself.
    Agree... and I can only torture myself enough.
    My work around is to use the acid demand reagent. If one drop matched 7.4 then I assumed my Ph is 8.0. Likewise, 2 drops matched 7.2 then it's 7.8
    20k gallons, IG plaster with raised Spa, Hayward C-4000 cartridge, Hayward TriStar SP3202VSP, Hayward H400 gas heater, Hayward Super II (2HP) Spa jets, Hayward Swimpure Plus T-15,
    Intermatic PS3000 SPD, PureLine-PureColor LED's, Dolphin Triton cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006, K-1766, OTO Test kit & various Guess strips.

13. Back To Top    #13

What are the TA and CH?