Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Run Time

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Run Time

Hey all,

What is the best way to run the pump for the pool? The pump flows at 60 gpm, so the water turns over in about 4 hours. My plan was to run the pump for 5 hours a night from, say, 9 PM to 2 AM. But my dad was very insistent that the pump needs to run twice a day, once in the morning and once at night (he says 3 hours a piece). That seems weird to me, since it would never get a full exchange either time. Which is better?
    13,500 gallon AG pool, vinyl liner, Sparco SF-40 Sand Filter, Hayward Power-Flo LX pump (1.0 HP, 60 gpm), filled from city water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Run Time

Either is probably fine as long as the water is staying clean.

See the following page for more info on pump run time.
    Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

I run mine 8 AM - 4 PM on high, which for my size gives me 1.2 turnovers. Then 4PM - 8PM on low to keep the stir going. Honestly, it's not needed to run this long but I like having it run on low during typical swimming hours to keep filtering that stuff. Basically either way is fine just like MGMoore7 said, just make sure you complete a turnover of all the water once a day and keep the CYA/FC ratio happy and it should work out great.
    Lee Mims - Orange, TX, 25400 gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Chlorine Feeder, Century 1081 2-Speed Pool & Spa Pump, Hayward H350FDN (350k BTU) Natural Gas Water Heater, Paramount O3 Ozone, Hayward Super II Pump for Waterfall, Aqualink RS System w/ Remote (Jandy), Taylor K-2006 Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay thanks guys. I think I'll try the night-time way and see how it works out. The basket I have in the skimmer doesn't lock so with splashing and waves from skimmers it pops out and the pump starts sucking air, so I'd prefer to run it while there aren't any swimmers.
    13,500 gallon AG pool, vinyl liner, Sparco SF-40 Sand Filter, Hayward Power-Flo LX pump (1.0 HP, 60 gpm), filled from city water