Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Alternative Test Kits

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Alternative Test Kits

    Hi everyone. Its an amazing forum here and I've read so much to check on the problems my pool has been facing in recent months. Im Malaysian, and here we do not have many pool suppliers who actually can advise you on the problems face. This forum has helped me alot to understand the problems faced in my pool. After reading, I've come to conclude that it has to be the CYA level is high, and the Chlorine i've been adding is insufficient to match that CYA level ..

    The suppliers here only have either 2 in 1 test kit or a 4 in 1 waterco / pentair test kits. This made it impossible for me to test CYA or Calcium Hardness. I wanted to get the TF-100 / K2006 test kits but due to me in in Malaysia, I am unable to get these test kits.

    After some search, I came across Lovinbond test kit. They have a registered supplier here in Malaysia. I contacted them. They have the following product to recomend to me : >

    1. The Pooltester - can test PH, TC, FC, TA, CYA, CH

    2. Scuba II - can test PH, TC, FC, TA, CYA (unfortunately cannot test CH)

    I would appreciate if you all can advise me if these are suitable as I have not much choice being in Malaysia.
    29k Gallons Inground Concrete Pool (11m x 6m) | Waterco Sand Filter S900 | 2HP Waterco Hydrostorm Plus Pump

  2. Back To Top    #2


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: Alternative Test Kits

    Hello!

    You want to look for a test kit that contains a FAS/DPD chlorine test. From some quick internet searches it looks like both those testers are 'photometers ', and will only test FC up to 6mg/l (6ppm), which will be useless when running a FC target of 5-6ppm with a CYA of 40-50ppm. If you ever develop algae these products will not read shock levels. Both those testers look identical, and neither tests CH.

    http://www.injecta.com/2.0/index.php...id=405&lang=en

    http://www.lovibondwater.com/product/scuba-ii.aspx

    The FAS/DPD test will accurately measure FC up to 50ppm, with up to 0.2ppm resolution.

    I hope this helps,
    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3


    TFP Guide

    cowboycasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fletcher, OK
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: Alternative Test Kits

    Welcome to TFP

    See if you can find a FAS-DPD test kit locally.. if you can find the FAS-DPD you are good and just use local supplies..

    if not:

    I know this is expensive but a K-2006C can be shipped to you its 95 dollars and 60 shipping but the C will last longer

    Taylor K 2006C Swimming Pool Spa Liquid Test Kit Fas DPD Chlorine 2 oz Reagents | eBay
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: Alternative Test Kits

    Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Hello!

    You want to look for a test kit that contains a FAS/DPD chlorine test. From some quick internet searches it looks like both those testers are 'photometers ', and will only test FC up to 6mg/l (6ppm), which will be useless when running a FC target of 5-6ppm with a CYA of 40-50ppm. If you ever develop algae these products will not read shock levels. Both those testers look identical, and neither tests CH.

    http://www.injecta.com/2.0/index.php...id=405&lang=en

    http://www.lovibondwater.com/product/scuba-ii.aspx

    The FAS/DPD test will accurately measure FC up to 50ppm, with up to 0.2ppm resolution.

    I hope this helps,
    Dom
    I;ve checked in Malaysia, so far no one has the FAS/DPD test (

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Welcome to TFP

    See if you can find a FAS-DPD test kit locally.. if you can find the FAS-DPD you are good and just use local supplies..

    if not:

    I know this is expensive but a K-2006C can be shipped to you its 95 dollars and 60 shipping but the C will last longer

    Taylor K 2006C Swimming Pool Spa Liquid Test Kit Fas DPD Chlorine 2 oz Reagents | eBay
    HI.. yes I tried to place order for a K2006C through amazon, ebay, etc .. but it all says "unable to ship to Malaysia" due to some restriction of reagents (
    29k Gallons Inground Concrete Pool (11m x 6m) | Waterco Sand Filter S900 | 2HP Waterco Hydrostorm Plus Pump

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand
    Posts
    443

    Re: Alternative Test Kits

    These guys might ship to Malaysia from Australia
    Clear Choice Labs Simple. Accurate. Fast.

    Or is there a reshipper that you could use to order a test kit through?

    Perhaps call your local customs office and ask their advice
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: Alternative Test Kits

    Quote Originally Posted by Caco View Post
    These guys might ship to Malaysia from Australia
    Clear Choice Labs Simple. Accurate. Fast.

    Or is there a reshipper that you could use to order a test kit through?

    Perhaps call your local customs office and ask their advice
    Hi Caco... checked with local custom, they said they will have to test and check the reagents as its ACTIVE content ... i am guessing its going to be a great pain.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I was informed today, by a local distributor of pool supplies the following : >

    1. Do not use Bleach. It's meant for washing clothes, not for swimming in

    2. Use Granular 70% calcium hypochlorite for chlorine instead of Bleach 5.25% because the latter have only 5.25% compared to 70%

    3. Does not matter if calcium hardness goes up, as the only effect is cloudy water .. and calcium deposit

    4. maintain 3 - 5 ppm chlorine and nothing more as it will burn eye and give skin rash immaterial of CYA level.

    5. using dye based test kits are not accurate, and should use tablet based test kit, like the SCUBA II from LOVIBOND

    Appreciate feedback from everyone.
    29k Gallons Inground Concrete Pool (11m x 6m) | Waterco Sand Filter S900 | 2HP Waterco Hydrostorm Plus Pump

  7. Back To Top    #7


    TFP Guide

    domct203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,375

    Re: Alternative Test Kits

    Quote Originally Posted by kilrathi View Post
    Hi Caco... checked with local custom, they said they will have to test and check the reagents as its ACTIVE content ... i am guessing its going to be a great pain.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I was informed today, by a local distributor of pool supplies the following : >

    1. Do not use Bleach. It's meant for washing clothes, not for swimming in

    2. Use Granular 70% calcium hypochlorite for chlorine instead of Bleach 5.25% because the latter have only 5.25% compared to 70%

    3. Does not matter if calcium hardness goes up, as the only effect is cloudy water .. and calcium deposit

    4. maintain 3 - 5 ppm chlorine and nothing more as it will burn eye and give skin rash immaterial of CYA level.

    5. using dye based test kits are not accurate, and should use tablet based test kit, like the SCUBA II from LOVIBOND

    Appreciate feedback from everyone.
    1. Bleach is 8.25% sodium hypochlorite. Liquid Pool chlorine, sometimes called 'super shock' is 10-12.5% sodium hypochlorite. They are the exact same thing, just in different strengths.

    2. Cal hypo will add calcium to your water. The calcium will continue to accumulate until it is so high that is will cloud your water and scale up your pool surface and equipment. Who enjoys swimming in a milky, murky mess??

    3. See #2 above

    4. I maintain FC at 7-9ppm with 40ppm CYA. Everyone compliments how good the water feels on their skin. All the children swim under water with their eyes open and no complaints. Bleach baths are actually recommended to treat certain skin afflictions.

    5. The FAS/DPD chlorine test is the most accurate & reliable FC test available, period.

    I'm sorry but your distributor is mis-informed.

    You will need to decide which methods you will follow to care for your pool, as mixing the advice of your distributor with our TFPC recommendations will lead to confusion and frustration with your pool.

    Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    110

    Re: Alternative Test Kits

    Quote Originally Posted by kilrathi View Post
    Hi Caco... checked with local custom, they said they will have to test and check the reagents as its ACTIVE content ... i am guessing its going to be a great pain.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I was informed today, by a local distributor of pool supplies the following : >

    1. Do not use Bleach. It's meant for washing clothes, not for swimming in

    2. Use Granular 70% calcium hypochlorite for chlorine instead of Bleach 5.25% because the latter have only 5.25% compared to 70%

    3. Does not matter if calcium hardness goes up, as the only effect is cloudy water .. and calcium deposit

    4. maintain 3 - 5 ppm chlorine and nothing more as it will burn eye and give skin rash immaterial of CYA level.

    5. using dye based test kits are not accurate, and should use tablet based test kit, like the SCUBA II from LOVIBOND

    Appreciate feedback from everyone.
    You were definitely given bad information there.
    1. Wrong - Bleach for clothes has chlorine as the active ingredient. It's the same exact thing, just use unscented and not the "splash proof" bleach.
    2. Wrong - Granular chlorine has a lot of other additives that will throw other chemicals (like Cyanuric Acid) out of balance over time.
    3. I can't comment on that, don't know it well enough
    4. Wrong - Free chlorine levels are directly related to CYA level
    5. Wrong - FAS/DPD kits work very well.


    Sounds like typical Pool Store speak - trying to bias you to the products they offer.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: Alternative Test Kits

    Thanks guys ... I have a problem here. In Malaysia, all dye kits available are the 4 in 1 test kits (waterco, pentair) which only test FC (up to 3ppm only), TA, PH, Acid Demand. The Lovibond uses SCUBA II - tablet form which can test up to 6ppm FC, TA, CYA, TC, PH

    There are no supplies of FAS/DPD ... what should I do ?

    So far I've been using Bleach (5.25% of active sodium hypochlorite) and pool seems fine. Just I am unsure of the CYA level to keep the FC at the relative level. (

    - - - Updated - - -

    Thanks guys ... I have a problem here. In Malaysia, all dye kits available are the 4 in 1 test kits (waterco, pentair) which only test FC (up to 3ppm only), TA, PH, Acid Demand. The Lovibond uses SCUBA II - tablet form which can test up to 6ppm FC, TA, CYA, TC, PH

    There are no supplies of FAS/DPD ... what should I do ?

    So far I've been using Bleach (5.25% of active sodium hypochlorite) and pool seems fine. Just I am unsure of the CYA level to keep the FC at the relative level. (
    29k Gallons Inground Concrete Pool (11m x 6m) | Waterco Sand Filter S900 | 2HP Waterco Hydrostorm Plus Pump

  10. Back To Top    #10
    needsajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,553

    Re: Alternative Test Kits

    Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here

    Try poolvacparts.com which shipped to me here in Aus. ClearChoiceLabs mentioned above is also a good test kit.

    Taylor FAS DPD Test Kit Chlorine - SERVICE SIZE K-2006C $134.99
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: Alternative Test Kits

    Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here

    Try poolvacparts.com which shipped to me here in Aus. ClearChoiceLabs mentioned above is also a good test kit.

    Taylor FAS DPD Test Kit Chlorine - SERVICE SIZE K-2006C $134.99
    THanks. Will contact them and enquire.
    29k Gallons Inground Concrete Pool (11m x 6m) | Waterco Sand Filter S900 | 2HP Waterco Hydrostorm Plus Pump

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Re: Alternative Test Kits

    All have told me that they can ship it to Malaysia, but they are unsure if it will be held by Malaysian Customs
    29k Gallons Inground Concrete Pool (11m x 6m) | Waterco Sand Filter S900 | 2HP Waterco Hydrostorm Plus Pump

  13. Back To Top    #13
    needsajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,553

    Re: Alternative Test Kits

    So you have to use your charm. Take a chance; order the FAS-DPD and CYA tests, then talk them into it. Tiny little bottles too small for a baby... tiny little fee. Pay minimal customs charges and everybody's happy. Good luck.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •