Alternative Test Kits

Dec 21, 2014
Hi everyone. Its an amazing forum here and I've read so much to check on the problems my pool has been facing in recent months. Im Malaysian, and here we do not have many pool suppliers who actually can advise you on the problems face. This forum has helped me alot to understand the problems faced in my pool. After reading, I've come to conclude that it has to be the CYA level is high, and the Chlorine i've been adding is insufficient to match that CYA level ..

The suppliers here only have either 2 in 1 test kit or a 4 in 1 waterco / pentair test kits. This made it impossible for me to test CYA or Calcium Hardness. I wanted to get the TF-100 / K2006 test kits but due to me in in Malaysia, I am unable to get these test kits.

After some search, I came across Lovinbond test kit. They have a registered supplier here in Malaysia. I contacted them. They have the following product to recomend to me : >

1. The Pooltester - can test PH, TC, FC, TA, CYA, CH

2. Scuba II - can test PH, TC, FC, TA, CYA (unfortunately cannot test CH)

I would appreciate if you all can advise me if these are suitable as I have not much choice being in Malaysia.

Hello!

You want to look for a test kit that contains a FAS/DPD chlorine test. From some quick internet searches it looks like both those testers are 'photometers ', and will only test FC up to 6mg/l (6ppm), which will be useless when running a FC target of 5-6ppm with a CYA of 40-50ppm. If you ever develop algae these products will not read shock levels. Both those testers look identical, and neither tests CH.

http://www.injecta.com/2.0/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=670&Itemid=405&lang=en

http://www.lovibondwater.com/product/scuba-ii.aspx

The FAS/DPD test will accurately measure FC up to 50ppm, with up to 0.2ppm resolution.

I hope this helps,
Dom

Hello!

You want to look for a test kit that contains a FAS/DPD chlorine test. From some quick internet searches it looks like both those testers are 'photometers ', and will only test FC up to 6mg/l (6ppm), which will be useless when running a FC target of 5-6ppm with a CYA of 40-50ppm. If you ever develop algae these products will not read shock levels. Both those testers look identical, and neither tests CH.

http://www.injecta.com/2.0/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=670&Itemid=405&lang=en

http://www.lovibondwater.com/product/scuba-ii.aspx

The FAS/DPD test will accurately measure FC up to 50ppm, with up to 0.2ppm resolution.

I hope this helps,
Dom

I;ve checked in Malaysia, so far no one has the FAS/DPD test :((

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP :)

See if you can find a FAS-DPD test kit locally.. if you can find the FAS-DPD you are good and just use local supplies..

if not:

I know this is expensive but a K-2006C can be shipped to you its 95 dollars and 60 shipping but the C will last longer :)

Taylor K 2006C Swimming Pool Spa Liquid Test Kit Fas DPD Chlorine 2 oz Reagents | eBay

HI.. yes I tried to place order for a K2006C through amazon, ebay, etc .. but it all says "unable to ship to Malaysia" due to some restriction of reagents :((

These guys might ship to Malaysia from Australia
Clear Choice Labs Simple. Accurate. Fast.

Or is there a reshipper that you could use to order a test kit through?

Perhaps call your local customs office and ask their advice

Hi Caco... checked with local custom, they said they will have to test and check the reagents as its ACTIVE content ... i am guessing its going to be a great pain.

- - - Updated - - -

I was informed today, by a local distributor of pool supplies the following : >

1. Do not use Bleach. It's meant for washing clothes, not for swimming in

2. Use Granular 70% calcium hypochlorite for chlorine instead of Bleach 5.25% because the latter have only 5.25% compared to 70%

3. Does not matter if calcium hardness goes up, as the only effect is cloudy water .. and calcium deposit

4. maintain 3 - 5 ppm chlorine and nothing more as it will burn eye and give skin rash immaterial of CYA level.

5. using dye based test kits are not accurate, and should use tablet based test kit, like the SCUBA II from LOVIBOND

Appreciate feedback from everyone.

Hi Caco... checked with local custom, they said they will have to test and check the reagents as its ACTIVE content ... i am guessing its going to be a great pain.

- - - Updated - - -

2. Use Granular 70% calcium hypochlorite for chlorine instead of Bleach 5.25% because the latter have only 5.25% compared to 70%

3. Does not matter if calcium hardness goes up, as the only effect is cloudy water .. and calcium deposit

4. maintain 3 - 5 ppm chlorine and nothing more as it will burn eye and give skin rash immaterial of CYA level.

5. using dye based test kits are not accurate, and should use tablet based test kit, like the SCUBA II from LOVIBOND

1. Bleach is 8.25% sodium hypochlorite. Liquid Pool chlorine, sometimes called 'super shock' is 10-12.5% sodium hypochlorite. They are the exact same thing, just in different strengths.

2. Cal hypo will add calcium to your water. The calcium will continue to accumulate until it is so high that is will cloud your water and scale up your pool surface and equipment. Who enjoys swimming in a milky, murky mess??

3. See #2 above

4. I maintain FC at 7-9ppm with 40ppm CYA. Everyone compliments how good the water feels on their skin. All the children swim under water with their eyes open and no complaints. Bleach baths are actually recommended to treat certain skin afflictions.

5. The FAS/DPD chlorine test is the most accurate & reliable FC test available, period.

I'm sorry but your distributor is mis-informed.

You will need to decide which methods you will follow to care for your pool, as mixing the advice of your distributor with our TFPC recommendations will lead to confusion and frustration with your pool.

Dom

- - - Updated - - -

You were definitely given bad information there.
  1. Wrong - Bleach for clothes has chlorine as the active ingredient. It's the same exact thing, just use unscented and not the "splash proof" bleach.
  2. Wrong - Granular chlorine has a lot of other additives that will throw other chemicals (like Cyanuric Acid) out of balance over time.
  3. I can't comment on that, don't know it well enough
  4. Wrong - Free chlorine levels are directly related to CYA level
  5. Wrong - FAS/DPD kits work very well.

Sounds like typical Pool Store speak - trying to bias you to the products they offer.

Thanks guys ... I have a problem here. In Malaysia, all dye kits available are the 4 in 1 test kits (waterco, pentair) which only test FC (up to 3ppm only), TA, PH, Acid Demand. The Lovibond uses SCUBA II - tablet form which can test up to 6ppm FC, TA, CYA, TC, PH

There are no supplies of FAS/DPD ... what should I do ?

So far I've been using Bleach (5.25% of active sodium hypochlorite) and pool seems fine. Just I am unsure of the CYA level to keep the FC at the relative level. :((

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys ... I have a problem here. In Malaysia, all dye kits available are the 4 in 1 test kits (waterco, pentair) which only test FC (up to 3ppm only), TA, PH, Acid Demand. The Lovibond uses SCUBA II - tablet form which can test up to 6ppm FC, TA, CYA, TC, PH

There are no supplies of FAS/DPD ... what should I do ?

So far I've been using Bleach (5.25% of active sodium hypochlorite) and pool seems fine. Just I am unsure of the CYA level to keep the FC at the relative level. :((

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So you have to use your charm. Take a chance; order the FAS-DPD and CYA tests, then talk them into it. Tiny little bottles too small for a baby... tiny little fee. Pay minimal customs charges and everybody's happy. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.