Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chlorine high, water getting greener

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine high, water getting greener

I am brand new to this fab site and as I'm reading through I realize I need to get an upgraded test kit, but also see that time is of the essence when nipping algae in the bud. That said, I don't have a chemical reading to post, other than noting my CHLORINE is off the chart HIGH. My water was well on the way to sparkling, but started to get cloudy and overnight algae has settled on the sides, bottom and steps. Comes off easily with a wire brush, suspends in the water and is green - cloudy enough now that I cannot not see the bottom of the 11' deep end. Is there anything I can do while I wait for my new test kit to arrive? Should I drain some water and add fresh? Is there a definite consensus on the best test kit and where to buy?

thanks in advance for any advice/input!!
    20,000 gal outdoor in-ground kidney-shaped, plaster pool; Purex Triton Clean & Clear pump, cartridge filters, Jandy Lite 2 heater, K2006 Test Kit, built 1978, Seattle, WA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine high, water getting greener

Welcome to TFP!

I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. It is the best value, here's why, Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Brush the pool and add 1 jug of 8.25% bleach daily while you wait. When you get the kit post some test results and we can go from there.

This is how we kill algae and clear up cloudy pools, SLAM

This is how we take care of pools,
    ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you pooldv!!
    20,000 gal outdoor in-ground kidney-shaped, plaster pool; Purex Triton Clean & Clear pump, cartridge filters, Jandy Lite 2 heater, K2006 Test Kit, built 1978, Seattle, WA

4. Back To Top    #4

While waiting for a TF-100 you could always get some test strips for a quick check. Make sure it has tests for Free Chlorine (FC) and Cyanuric Acid (CYA). They won't be nears as accurate as the TF-100. I would be interested in what the CYA reading is. If your CYA gets too high, the FC won't work as well and you need to keep it higher or drain the pool to lower the CYA. Don't buy anything else but bleach until you get your test no matter what a store might say.
    13k Pebbletec Pool/Spa, Hayward Ecostar, SGS Breeze 540 SWG, Pentair C&C 420 cartridge, Pentair MasterTemp Heater, Caretaker system, TF-100 & Taylor K1766 test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I cannot emphasize enough..Brush, Brush, Brush. It will make you SLAM go so much faster. Good luck
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

i have the K-2006 on order - I was able to find quicker shipping than the TF-100. I am brushing and adding 1 gallon of 8.25% daily and the water seems to be going from green to more of a yellow. The "yellow" is like a dusting on the sides and bottom. I'm also assuming that I need to leave the pump running 24/7 and don't need to be changing the filter out?

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll see if I can find some strips locally tomorrow. Thanks so much!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Riley View Post
    I'll see if I can find some strips locally tomorrow. Thanks so much!
    I'd just wait for the kit arrival and continue adding bleach 1/2 - 3/4 gal daily, should keep you hanging there. IMO inaccurate test is worse than no test at all- in latter case you're at least honest about having no idea what your levels are .
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Don't waste your money on strips. They are nearly worthless. You can get an HTH 6-way drop test from Wal Mart. It's no substitute for one of the recommended kits, as it only measures FC up to 5ppm. But it does contain a CYA test and will get you started until your real kit arrives.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

10. Back To Top    #10

If your chlorine is "off the chart high", how did you measure it? Because if the chlorine really is high and the water is still green, chances are good that your CYA is also off the chart high. Been using pucks long?
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Vickery View Post
    If your chlorine is "off the chart high", how did you measure it? Because if the chlorine really is high and the water is still green, chances are good that your CYA is also off the chart high. Been using pucks long?
    I have a very simple test kit (my K-2006 is supposed to arrive on Tuesday) so understand that my test results are not all that accurate yet. Also, I haven't tested again since I first started this string as the advice was to brush and add 8.25% bleach daily. I do keep pucks in the pool - 2 at a time until they dissolve and then do 2 fresh ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    Don't waste your money on strips. They are nearly worthless. You can get an HTH 6-way drop test from Wal Mart. It's no substitute for one of the recommended kits, as it only measures FC up to 5ppm. But it does contain a CYA test and will get you started until your real kit arrives.
    Ugh - local Walmarts are all out of stock on this HTH 6-Way Shoot! Thanks though!!

12. Back To Top    #12

I suspect that your test results are going to show "off the chart high" CYA due to puck usage, as pucks add CYA to the water as well as chlorine. CYA doesn't dissipate, so - over time - continually adding CYA will begin to render your "off the chart high" chlorine level ineffective. If you've read much on the board, you'll see that the only way to mitigate high CYA is with water replacement, so you can may begin thinking about what is/isn't feasible in your area (water restrictions, etc.).

Keep adding bleach and brushing daily. Once you get the test kit, post results and you'll be clean and clear in no time flat. In the meantime, if you see a sale on bleach, I would stock up!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

13. Back To Top    #13

How were you adding FC to your pool before?

My guess is that your CYA is sky high and even your high FC is not enough to keep the algae away

We will get you all set up once you get your test kit.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

I have been using granular chlorine. And will immediately stop with the pucks.

THANKS ALL for the input and encouragement!!!

15. Back To Top    #15

You found your "problem" already! Good job! You should only be using liquid chlorine/bleach. I have some links that I set up for new TFP owners:

Print these out:
    Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

It is a lot of info but it will all start to make sense when you start using it. One of the links tells you what we use in our pools. Now do not go out and buy everything on it as most people do not use all of it.

You do need to find your best/cheapest source for chlorine/bleach. Walmart for bleach (plain,unscented, store brand) or pool store of chlorine. It is the same stuff just different %

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Red face Re: Chlorine high, water getting greener

I don't think my last reply posted?? Sorry if this is a repeat....got the much-anticipated test kit (was late/lost in transit)

Here are my test results:
    CYA = 50 ppm
    TA = 125 ppm
    PH = 7.5
    FC = 8.2 ppm
    CC = .4 ppm
    CH= 320 ppm

I have been running the pump 24/7, adding 1 gallon 8.25% bleach daily and brushing brushing brushing. The water is a yellowish green and clear to about 6' deep.

I will read up on what to do next, but wanted to post the numbers as soon as I had them incase anyone is following this string and has advice/input. Thank you so much!!!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Riley View Post
    I don't think my last reply posted?? Sorry if this is a repeat....got the much-anticipated test kit (was late/lost in transit)

Here are my test results:
    CYA = 50 ppm
    TA = 125 ppm
    PH = 7.5
    FC = 8.2 ppm
    CC = .4 ppm
    CH= 320 ppm

I have been running the pump 24/7, adding 1 gallon 8.25% bleach daily and brushing brushing brushing. The water is a yellowish green and clear to about 6' deep.

I will read up on what to do next, but wanted to post the numbers as soon as I had them incase anyone is following this string and has advice/input. Thank you so much!!!
    your numbers look OK, except TA but it can wait, don't worry abut it now.

Can you measure overnight FC loss: measure FC in the evening after sunset and then- in the morning before sunlight hits the pool. The pool shouldn't have any chlorine sources during the test, even bleach- the point of the test to see if FC is spent on killing algae.

Where the fill water comes from- city/well/truck? Do you know if it has high iron content?

Please post picture of the water preferably in daylight facing stairs or another feature with gradual depth view.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

May I suggest using the 10ml sample for your FC/CC tests. The directions are on the inner lid of your kit. It will help you save on reagents. 1 heaping scoop of powder is almost always enough for the test.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    your numbers look OK, except TA but it can wait, don't worry abut it now.

Can you measure overnight FC loss: measure FC in the evening after sunset and then- in the morning before sunlight hits the pool. The pool shouldn't have any chlorine sources during the test, even bleach- the point of the test to see if FC is spent on killing algae.

Where the fill water comes from- city/well/truck? Do you know if it has high iron content?

Please post picture of the water preferably in daylight facing stairs or another feature with gradual depth view.
    Yes - I sure can do the evening/morning FC test.

I'm on city water, but not sure of the iron content. I've never heard anything negative about it?

Will post pics momentarily. Sun is setting so it was hard to capture. If they aren't helpful, I'll try again tomorrow afternoon for some better ones!

THANKS!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    May I suggest using the 10ml sample for your FC/CC tests. The directions are on the inner lid of your kit. It will help you save on reagents. 1 heaping scoop of powder is almost always enough for the test.
    Awesome! Thanks for the tip !!

20. Back To Top    #20

You got lucky! Your CYA is not too high!

So how is your water looking? Take and share a picture so we know where you are in clearing it. That will tell me what to tell you to do next. I am thinking you will need to SLAM.

Did you have fun doing the tests?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast