Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: tiny bugs in water

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

tiny bugs in water

First, let me apologize for hogging the bandwidth here...seems like I have a new question every day!

I bent over to pick a leaf out of the pool this morning and was surprised to see what looked like a brownish film on the water near the edge of the pool. Upon closer inspection it proved to be not a film, but a group( hate to use the term "swarm" ) of tiny little bugs the size of fleas on the surface of the water.

Has anyone else observed something similar? Any idea what they are?

Being the reactionary type, I then started looking closer at the sides and bottom of the pool and imagined I saw some type of algae growing so even though my FC test results seemed proper and I measured no CC I dumped a bunch of bleach in the water. Maybe that will kill the buggers...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Enid, Oklahoma

Re: tiny bugs in water

Could have been springtails. ... gtails.htm

I see them in my pool almost every year around this time.
    20K IG Fiberglass, 3/4 hp Sand, Hayward ColorLogic

3. Back To Top    #3
    Logan IA

Re: tiny bugs in water

I don't know how long you have had your pool, but my pool attracts bugs I didn't even know existed! I guess the water just looks inviting.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.