Partial drain on fiberglass pool, did I make a huge mistake?!

Jun 28, 2016
Winter haven, Fl
I'm having a panic attack over the 12 inches of water I just drained out of my fiberglass pool!! I have been battling algae for about three weeks now. I finally found the source of my algae returning. It was hiding inside my Fiberstars PAL treo LED light. So I did my best to clean the light (while still under water) . Unfortunately, I took it apart a tad too far & broke the air tight seal under the lens? So now I have an algae free pool with a broken light. After googling every video about pool lights & speaking to a rep at the light company I was convinced I could easily pull it out & place it on the deck to dry out. So after I shut off the power at the breaker I unscrewed it from the wall only to find out that my installer did not leave any extra cord behind the wall. So I have a service guy coming out Friday to look at it. He said to go ahead & drain some of the water to expose the light. I opened the main drain & shut off the skimmer & vacuum & opened up the hose to the yard. But now that I have reached the light, it seems REALLY low & I'm freaking out that my pool is going to pop out of the ground while I sleep!!
I really want my light fixed as this is only a two year old pool. But I also can't afford to have it pop out of the ground in the process! Please advise!

Not much you can do at this point besides add the water back up and drain it again it in morning...

- - - Updated - - -

Cross-post. That doesn't look too low. Your groundwater level would need to be pretty high for it to pop. Maybe someone from your area in Florida knows more about your water table level.

Many times a fiberglass pool will have a 12” pipe going down next to the pool to monitor and control ground water level. Do you have that? Usually has a skimmer lid covering the hole.
Look into the pipe to see the ground water level.

I would say that if there is any doubt at all, refill the pool. Replacing a light is much cheaper than fixing a popped up pool.

I am not sure if we have the 12" pipe you are talking about. But I couldn't shake the feeling that I had made a mistake, so the hose is in the water. Is there an order of operations to rebalancing my water? Where do I start after I test the water in the morning?
thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.