Plaster start up

May 1, 2016
Abington, PA
Hi All,

Bond coat is complete. Plaster is coming Friday! I've read the "Start up new plaster " page and it looks like we will be doing the traditional start up. Only thing is that it looks like I'll be doing it...not the builder. Anyway, here are the directions that they sent to me.

First Day: Add a de-mineralizing liquid upon initial fill and maintain water circulation for 24 Hours prior to balancing the pool chemistry. Adjust pH to 7.2.
Second Day: Record the chlorine, pH, and total alkalinity, calcium hardness, and temperature levels. Maintain pH at 7.2 and adjust total alkalinity to 80-120 PPM. Dissolve all chemicals in water first and allow sufficient time for each chemical to be fully dispersed before adding other chemicals.
Third Day: Repeat steps from Second Day.
*Adjust chemistry to the following levels:
Free Chlorine: 1.0 – 3.0 PPM
pH: 7.4 – 7.6
Total Alkalinity: 80-120 PPM
Calcium Hardness: 200-400 PPM
Stabilizer: 30-100 PPM
Adjust pump timer to normal operating hours. Do not install automatic pool cleaners for 28 days. Do not vacuum the pool with a wheeled vacuum for 14 days. Brush the pool walls and floor daily for the first two (2) weeks. A combo brush (nylon/stainless) or stainless brush is recommended for quartz finishes.

Now on the start up new plaster page it says to add a start up dose of sequestrant? My builder said to add a de-mineralizing liquid? Is a sequestrant and de-mineralizing liquid the same thing? Help! Also, what brand is the best to use on a new Quartzscapes plaster?

Side note - I ordered the TF-100 along with the speed stir last night from Duraleigh.

One other question - We are going with a salt system. I live in PA. I'm thinking on waiting until next year to add the salt beings it will almost be time to close the pool by the time the plaster get finished curing. Should I just winterize the old fashioned chlorine way or would I be better off getting the salt system going before we close?

Thanks in advance!

Otis,

I suggest that you follow the PB's start-up instructions, just so that there are no warranty concerns. I believe that the Sequestrant and de-mineralizer are the same thing.

In my case, when I had a pool re-plastered, the plaster people gave me a similar list, and I went out and bought some "Jack's Magic, magenta stuff". But it didn't matter, because the plaster people added there own stuff as they started putting the water in the pool. I suspect they will do the same for you, but I would contact the PB and ask to make sure. If you are to supply it, then they should tell you exactly what to buy.

Not one closes a pool down here, so someone else will have to jump in on that subject.

Jim R.

Next season is fine for salt as mentioned. The close will be he exact same either way. You will use bleach to raise the FC level before closing. You should wait until the water temp is below 60 before closing which will be into October likely. Then you will want to open in late April, first of May and you will be one of the few, proud owners of a non-green pool!
If you add salt before closing you will lose some anyway with your water lowering - but it's cheap though.

I called our local pool store (Leslies) but they don't carry the Jacks Magic Magneta. I asked the young man on the phone if they carried another sequestrant similar to Jacks but he had no idea what I was talking about. Is there anywhere to buy Jacks aside from online? Like a Sears or Walmart?

Pro Team Metal Magic is another option. No Jacks anything? Pink, blue, nothing? Weird.

I get some pool stuff at Lowes. I don't know if they have sequestrant.

Thanks Brian... "Startup Tec" is exactly what they used in a pool I recently had re-plastered. It basically eliminated the plaster dust.

It was also used in my pool when it was built last year.

In both cases, it was supplied by the plaster guys.

Jim R.

Shot, score on the Jacks Magic Magenta. The direction on the bottle don't tell you how to add it to the pool though. I'm guessing that I should dilute it in a 5 gallon bucket and broadcast it around the perimeter of the pool. Is that how you guys did it with your sequestrant?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.