Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster start up

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster start up

Hi All,

Bond coat is complete. Plaster is coming Friday! I've read the "Start up new plaster " page and it looks like we will be doing the traditional start up. Only thing is that it looks like I'll be doing it...not the builder. Anyway, here are the directions that they sent to me.

First Day: Add a de-mineralizing liquid upon initial fill and maintain water circulation for 24 Hours prior to balancing the pool chemistry. Adjust pH to 7.2.
    Second Day: Record the chlorine, pH, and total alkalinity, calcium hardness, and temperature levels. Maintain pH at 7.2 and adjust total alkalinity to 80-120 PPM. Dissolve all chemicals in water first and allow sufficient time for each chemical to be fully dispersed before adding other chemicals.
    Third Day: Repeat steps from Second Day.
    *Adjust chemistry to the following levels:
    Free Chlorine: 1.0 3.0 PPM
    pH: 7.4 7.6
    Total Alkalinity: 80-120 PPM
    Calcium Hardness: 200-400 PPM
    Stabilizer: 30-100 PPM
    Adjust pump timer to normal operating hours. Do not install automatic pool cleaners for 28 days. Do not vacuum the pool with a wheeled vacuum for 14 days. Brush the pool walls and floor daily for the first two (2) weeks. A combo brush (nylon/stainless) or stainless brush is recommended for quartz finishes.

Now on the start up new plaster page it says to add a start up dose of sequestrant? My builder said to add a de-mineralizing liquid? Is a sequestrant and de-mineralizing liquid the same thing? Help! Also, what brand is the best to use on a new Quartzscapes plaster?

Side note - I ordered the TF-100 along with the speed stir last night from Duraleigh.

One other question - We are going with a salt system. I live in PA. I'm thinking on waiting until next year to add the salt beings it will almost be time to close the pool by the time the plaster get finished curing. Should I just winterize the old fashioned chlorine way or would I be better off getting the salt system going before we close?

Thanks in advance!
    16,000 QuartzScapes Barbados Blue finish, Hayward 450 cluster cartridge, Hayward Max-Flo VS 1.5 HP, Goldline SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster start up

Otis,

I suggest that you follow the PB's start-up instructions, just so that there are no warranty concerns. I believe that the Sequestrant and de-mineralizer are the same thing.

In my case, when I had a pool re-plastered, the plaster people gave me a similar list, and I went out and bought some "Jack's Magic, magenta stuff". But it didn't matter, because the plaster people added there own stuff as they started putting the water in the pool. I suspect they will do the same for you, but I would contact the PB and ask to make sure. If you are to supply it, then they should tell you exactly what to buy.

Not one closes a pool down here, so someone else will have to jump in on that subject.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know what a demineralizing liquid is, sequestrant seems logical. Jacks magic magenta stuff is the one to use. Wait 30 days to add salt. If that pushes into closing then with until next season is fine

Here is NPT's start up,
    Overview | National Pool Tile Group
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Next season is fine for salt as mentioned. The close will be he exact same either way. You will use bleach to raise the FC level before closing. You should wait until the water temp is below 60 before closing which will be into October likely. Then you will want to open in late April, first of May and you will be one of the few, proud owners of a non-green pool!
    If you add salt before closing you will lose some anyway with your water lowering - but it's cheap though.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I called our local pool store (Leslies) but they don't carry the Jacks Magic Magneta. I asked the young man on the phone if they carried another sequestrant similar to Jacks but he had no idea what I was talking about. Is there anywhere to buy Jacks aside from online? Like a Sears or Walmart?
    16,000 QuartzScapes Barbados Blue finish, Hayward 450 cluster cartridge, Hayward Max-Flo VS 1.5 HP, Goldline SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Pro Team Metal Magic is another option. No Jacks anything? Pink, blue, nothing? Weird.

I get some pool stuff at Lowes. I don't know if they have sequestrant.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Startup Tec is a little more common. Perhaps ask about that?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Brian... "Startup Tec" is exactly what they used in a pool I recently had re-plastered. It basically eliminated the plaster dust.

It was also used in my pool when it was built last year.

In both cases, it was supplied by the plaster guys.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

9. Back To Top    #9

Shot, score on the Jacks Magic Magenta. The direction on the bottle don't tell you how to add it to the pool though. I'm guessing that I should dilute it in a 5 gallon bucket and broadcast it around the perimeter of the pool. Is that how you guys did it with your sequestrant?

10. Back To Top    #10

Nice! That is fine. Or just pour it in and brush a bit.
    TFP Moderator