Testing CYA with Taylor 9056 Comparator Block

Jul 30, 2016
East TN
I saw a post earlier stating that it is posible to test your CYA with the Taylor 9056 Comparator Block. However, it did not state how to do this procedure. I have search for a while now trying to find instructions on how to do this but couldn't come up with anything.

I am totally new to testing myself, I have only had my TF-100 for a week. I find the CYA test to be the most difficult to do accurately.

Can an someone fill me in on how this is done? I'm hoping this will be easier for me to do than the one I am doing now.

This is the block I am speaking of.

Thanks in advance.

That isn't the 9056 block, this is:

TAYVIAL.jpg

It works exactly the same as the TF-100 one with a black dot on the bottom but can only measure down to 30 ppm CYA instead of 20. There is no color matching method to test CYA unfortunately.

Ok, the post I saw showed the other side of this block and it looked very similar to my pic. I see the difference in the two now. The reading I have done said that it was easier to read than the other possibly due to the squared sides instead of the cylindrical tube. Do you know if that is an accurate statement, in your opinion?

I have not personally used it so I cannot vouch for that statement. While testing CYA is a pain I don't seem to have as much trouble as most people so I am not much help (I actually think I am just way more laid back about how precise I get it).

If you want to give it a shot you can get the 9056 online. If you do make sure you get the 9191 dispenser bottle as well since you need less water and reagent to run the test vs the TF-100 tube.

I have both the 9056 and the tube in the TF-100 test kit along with the standard 50ppm CYA solution. While using the standard solution, I read 50 ppm using the TF-100 tube when I followed the instructions. That requires a sunny day with your back to the sun and the tube held around waist height. Using the 9056 block I had to hold the block in direct sunlight to get the 50 ppm reading.

For now, I'm using the tube in the TF-100 and following those instructions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.