Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing CYA with Taylor 9056 Comparator Block

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing CYA with Taylor 9056 Comparator Block

I saw a post earlier stating that it is posible to test your CYA with the Taylor 9056 Comparator Block. However, it did not state how to do this procedure. I have search for a while now trying to find instructions on how to do this but couldn't come up with anything.

I am totally new to testing myself, I have only had my TF-100 for a week. I find the CYA test to be the most difficult to do accurately.

Can an someone fill me in on how this is done? I'm hoping this will be easier for me to do than the one I am doing now.

This is the block I am speaking of.

Thanks in advance.
    18x36 8ft deep end (~27k gallons), IG, Vinyl Lined, Polaris 360 Cleaner
    Sand filter, 2HP Pump, Municipal Water Source TF-100 Test kit
    East TN
    CYA Chart SLaM Add DE to Sand OCLT

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Testing CYA with Taylor 9056 Comparator Block

That isn't the 9056 block, this is:

It works exactly the same as the TF-100 one with a black dot on the bottom but can only measure down to 30 ppm CYA instead of 20. There is no color matching method to test CYA unfortunately.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, the post I saw showed the other side of this block and it looked very similar to my pic. I see the difference in the two now. The reading I have done said that it was easier to read than the other possibly due to the squared sides instead of the cylindrical tube. Do you know if that is an accurate statement, in your opinion?
    18x36 8ft deep end (~27k gallons), IG, Vinyl Lined, Polaris 360 Cleaner
    Sand filter, 2HP Pump, Municipal Water Source TF-100 Test kit
    East TN
    CYA Chart SLaM Add DE to Sand OCLT

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I have not personally used it so I cannot vouch for that statement. While testing CYA is a pain I don't seem to have as much trouble as most people so I am not much help (I actually think I am just way more laid back about how precise I get it).

If you want to give it a shot you can get the 9056 online. If you do make sure you get the 9191 dispenser bottle as well since you need less water and reagent to run the test vs the TF-100 tube.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I have both the 9056 and the tube in the TF-100 test kit along with the standard 50ppm CYA solution. While using the standard solution, I read 50 ppm using the TF-100 tube when I followed the instructions. That requires a sunny day with your back to the sun and the tube held around waist height. Using the 9056 block I had to hold the block in direct sunlight to get the 50 ppm reading.

For now, I'm using the tube in the TF-100 and following those instructions.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart