Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How should I proceed with my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How should I proceed with my pool?

Hi all,

Recently opened our pool after being closed for two years. It was a swamp to say the least... I went ahead and shocked the pool significantly last week and added algaecide as recommended by my local pool store.

I purchased a Taylor K-2006 and did my first round of testing today. Here are the results:

• PH - Greater than 8, acid demand was 2 drops to get it down to 7.4ish.
    • TA - 80PPM
    • CH - 20PPM
    • CYA - Less than 30PPM, which was the minimum readable amount. Could still see the black dot with it full.
    • FC - 1.4PPM
    • CC - 0.8PPM

CYA is probably on its way up, I added about 2.5 lbs of stabilizer last weekend.

Pool is a 18ft above ground, about 48" high. Filter is a Hayward Perflex, not sure on the size though.

Is it ok to go swimming with these results? I want to make sure, since we have a 1 year old.

Secondly, what should be the order of approach for getting it back into spec? From my reading, I'm thinking I should SLAM the pool, but im not sure if my levels of CC are high enough to warrant it.

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How should I proceed with my pool?

I would say no. Especially with a 1 year old. You need to get chlorine in that pool. Regular liquid bleach is the easiest way to go (do not get scented or splashless) You need to begin SLAMMING your pool.

If you haven't, please read Pool School - TFP Home Page

Your will need to follow the SLAM instructions Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain Your need to keep you chlorine level at SLAM level until your water is clean, OCLT is less than 1 and CC is less than 0.5.

You should not swim until your chlorine level is above minimum and below SLAM level (3-11). You also need to be able to see the bottom of the pool to swim safely.
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, during the SLAM should the filter be run continuously? As for clarity, the water is very clear, thankfully!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Yep- run 24/7 even if the water is clear.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes your pump should be running throughout. Do not add anything from the pool store or trust their tests. Their advice will just bring you more headaches.
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions