Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tons of Algae and pH and CL seem off. Please help.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Milford, Ohio

Question Tons of Algae and pH and CL seem off. Please help.

I'm new to taking care of a pool. The algae has taken over, it's very green. The pH on the Pool Style test kit is showing between 7.8 - 8.2; the BR/CL level is 6.5 & 3.0. I've added shock and algaecide, per my local pool store's suggestions. Also brushing and vacuuming daily. Suggestions please? I'm just so frustrated.

25,000 gallon, IG, Vinyl, Sand Filter, Not sure of pump model, variable (I believe), Pool age 20+ years, Pool Style Two Way Swimming Pool & Spa Chlorine Water Testing Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Land O Lakes, FL

Re: Tons of Algae and pH and CL seem off. Please help.

Time to start reading Pool School. Pool School - Pool School

You will need a good test kit. Here is a comparison. TF-100 or Taylor K-2006
    Pool School - Test Kits Compared

A SLAM will be in order. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Until you get a test kit, add 1 gallon of bleach daily and continue to run pump and brush.

Once you get the test kit, post a full set of numbers as described in this link and someone will reply to help you get the SLAM going.
    What we need to know to answer your questions
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator