Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mess After Vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Mess After Vacation

Haven't checked in for a while as pool has been sparkly and clean.. Went on vacation last week and came back to yellow algae on walls in shaded end. There's been a ton of rain here too so that's compounded the problem, I'm sure. Do I need to slam? Is it possible it'd go away without doing that? My numbers:
    FC 2.5
    PH 9
    TA 80
    CH 190
    CYA 65

I turned the SWG up to 70% from 50. Thanks as usual for any help.
    17K IG Concrete w/hot tub; Hayward: Super Pump 125, Aqua Rite SWG, Navigator Pro, 250k btu heater, Taylor K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mess After Vacation

Yes, the presence of algae requires a SLAM
    Fiberglass pool 5300 gallons (trilogy eclipse)
    inground
    Cartridge filter
    2HP hayward ecostar sp3400vsp

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks very much, I've collected all of the supplies needed for SLAM and will start this evening.
    Any ideas what specifically could've caused the outbreak based on info above? Would heavy rain be enough? Just trying to avoid this again this summer.
    17K IG Concrete w/hot tub; Hayward: Super Pump 125, Aqua Rite SWG, Navigator Pro, 250k btu heater, Taylor K2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Your chlorine is too low for the CYA level you have. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...rine-CYA-Chart

Your pH is too high period. http://www.bluescience.com/swimming-...to-pool-water/
    42' natural free-form pool, vinyl lined, 6' deep end, 21,400 gallons
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I've never seen PH test that can measure 9. It is very important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times. 7.5 to 7.8 is better for your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

thats my fault. it tested darker than the highest number on the kit so i put 9. it may be above that, but ive got plenty of acid to bring it down to slam. couple last qs.
    is 2 hours enough time after adding acid to get a proper reading (pump on)?
    does the algae have any effect on giving me a true ph reading?
    since my pump will be running during the slam, is it ok to leave my robot in the pool? i dont have a manual vacuum.

7. Back To Top    #7

30 min should be enough. Algae has no I pact on the PH test. Yes, robot is fine.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
    Your chlorine is too low for the CYA level you have. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...rine-CYA-Chart

Your pH is too high period. http://www.bluescience.com/swimming-...to-pool-water/

This caused ur issue
    Fiberglass pool 5300 gallons (trilogy eclipse)
    inground
    Cartridge filter
    2HP hayward ecostar sp3400vsp

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ashley79 View Post
    thats my fault. it tested darker than the highest number on the kit so i put 9. it may be above that, but ive got plenty of acid to bring it down to slam. couple last qs.
    is 2 hours enough time after adding acid to get a proper reading (pump on)?
    does the algae have any effect on giving me a true ph reading?
    since my pump will be running during the slam, is it ok to leave my robot in the pool? i dont have a manual vacuum.
    could you please add name of the test kit you use to your signature?
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

added.
    thanks to all for the info.

11. Back To Top    #11

Pools been clear but passed OCLT this morning; went from 24.5 to 23.5 FC. When will PH test be accurate again?

12. Back To Top    #12

Ph test is accurate with FC up to 10 ppm.
    TFP Moderator