Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there anything you should do when putting in new paper cartridge filters?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there anything you should do when putting in new paper cartridge filters?

My pool is about nine years old and until now I have not replaced the paper cartridges for my Starite3 filter. I cleaned them a couple of weeks ago and the paper is starting to get very frayed and it remains gungy even after a good hosing down. I have ordered new filters and will put them in this weekend. Is there anything that you need to do before putting in the new filters? Should I hose them down? Anything else to do to "condition" the filters?
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there anything you should do when putting in new paper cartridge filters?

I bought a new set for mine last year and just put them in out of the box.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is there anything you should do when putting in new paper cartridge filters?

Wayner,

I agree with wjr75.. I've never heard of having to do anything other than installing them. I'm pretty sure that if something special was required, a note, or instructions, would come with the filters.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks, I just wondered if there might be some lint or dust that would come off new filters that you should rinse off before using them.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels