Should I worry about CH?

JasonLion said:
That is either an in-line chlorinator or a mineral pack dispenser, but I don't recognize that specific model.

I think some sort of mineral dispenser might be right.... the section under that cap at the top contains a cartridge that looks a lot like a carbon type water filter that you might have on drinking water lines. I guessed that carbon filters for pools are not really practical though.

I am going to guess, based on the core theme of this entire board, that this thing is not only not necessary, but undesirable? Should I remove the cartridge?

Now I don't know what to do...those cartridges can't be removed without cutting the PVC and removing the entire device. The cartridge and the cover are one piece.

It looks like I have three options:
1) Leave it alone and hope that it was already used up anyway
2) Remove the cartridge and empty its contents by chopping out the underside causing who knows what side effects to the flow
3) Cut out the PVC and remove the device.

Am I "overworrying" about this thing or is this bad enough that I should jump straight to #3?

reebok said:
well, according to the manual there is a no stain guarantee. I can't find any other info about it though.
http://www.nature2.com/files/TL2626_Nat ... Manual.pdf
and this manual talks about a winterizing cap. I wonder if you can cap it. I would call them and see if the cap can withstand pressure, or what other advice they have for not using it. but like you say, the cartridge is probably old and empty now.
http://www.nature2.com/files/TL2625_Nat ... Manual.pdf

Thanks for the info... that helped a lot. The winterizing cap does not take the place of the cartridge. That blue area which looks like it might be a canister is simply a outer cover that does not transport any water. When the cartridge is removed you actually expose the hole in the pvc that feeds the thing. The manual was especially useful in showing how the thing was installed though because I thought it was inserted in a space where a chuck of PVC had been removed, but instead you clamp the base unit to the pipe and then drill a hole through their clamp to give it access to the water flow.

Is there anyway to patch a quarter sized hole in pvc or is it easier to simply cut the chunk out and splice everything back together?

This is entertaining though from their manual:
4 Let chlorine dissipate to 0.5 ppm once start up period is completed.
• Do not enter the pool if the free available chlorine residual is over 3 ppm.

Like every other magic cure for pools the cartridge for these things costs as much or more than just using enough chlorine in the first place.... assuming that you are uninformed enough to trust your water with chlorine levels that low. :|

3ppm isn't low chlorine as long as you are using another option. the only other option recommended by this forum though, is a polyquat 60 algaecide. lot more expensive, but different strokes for different folks.
as far as patching a hole in pvc, I've done some pvc work like irrigation and installing roof solar panels, but I'm not familiar with any way to patch a hole. the easiest way to connect two pipes imho (if you decide to cut it) is with a compression coupling.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

reebok said:
3ppm isn't low chlorine as long as you are using another option. the only other option recommended by this forum though, is a polyquat 60 algaecide. lot more expensive, but different strokes for different folks.
as far as patching a hole in pvc, I've done some pvc work like irrigation and installing roof solar panels, but I'm not familiar with any way to patch a hole. the easiest way to connect two pipes imho (if you decide to cut it) is with a compression coupling.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

Thanks for the info!

I agree that 3 ppm is not too low "as long as..." but that is their max threshold. You are supposed to hold levels at 0.5...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.