Hayward 1hp Superpump died- Pentair SuperFlo 1hp Dual Speed on the way

MCan56

Mar 25, 2013
Shawnee OK
I discovered my pump was not running (as well as timer) and found the circuit had tripped. When I flipped the breaker back and manually turned on the timer, the circuit immediately tripped. I removed the pump motor cover and disconnected the power leads, reset the breaker, manually turned on the timer and sure enough, the booster pump started to turn. There was quite a bit of carbon inside the motor housing, and I wanted a more efficient pump so I decided to go all new.

Here is my current setup:
Intermatic single clock timer
Hayward 1hp single speed
Polaris 3/4hp booster pump with light switch to turn on/off
20x40 vinyl play pool with 1 skimmer, 1 main drain and 3 returns plus dedicated booster line
Pumps are about 5 feet from pool, ground level (so about 4-5" above water line), pressure at Hayward sand filter is usually around 18-24psi
I have 2 trippers in the timer and run it about 4-5 hours day, and 4-5 night, plus anytime we are in the pool. I use a liquid chlorinator (Hasa).
I generally have the Polaris 380 running the whole time the main pump is running, unless we are swimming. Needless to say, my pool stays very clean when I keep the chlorinator topped up and manually compensate for swimmers. I have lots of trees above my pool, so I get pecans and shells (from squirrels), leaves etc all year long.

I believe I have selected a good pump, 1.25 SHP for the Pentair vs 1.1 SHP for the Hayward. From what I have read, I believe I may be able to run the Pentair on low speed almost 100% of the time, since the Polaris is always stirring up water and removing debris from the bottom of pool. If it is especially dirty, I can crank it to high for a few hours.

Does this seem feasible? Should I consider a further upgrade to a dual timer system and somehow rig it to run high speed+booster pump for a few hours, low speed the majority of the time?

MCan,

I suggest that you install your new pump and see how it works. My guess is that it will not power your cleaner very well on low speed, but that might not be the case. You can try a combination of low speed, high speed, low speed with booster, and high speed with booster and see what works and what doesn't.

Once you know that you can decide if you need a dual timer system or not.

Jim R.

So, thanks to these awesome forums, I managed to wire in and plumb my new pump and it is working great. I took the opportunity to move the pump to remove the immediate 90 degree elbow into the suction side, which necessitated a longer electrical conduit, but I think it's worth it.

I believe it's driving the Polaris booster pump "enough", but honestly, I have that wired to a toggle switch so it's easy enough to just keep that turned off and let the timer run my Pentair on low speed the majority of the time and I will manually run the Polaris with the Pentair on high when I have debris on the bottom. It'll save me even more money that way, since I usually ran the booster pump 100% with the main pump.

I'm excited to see what my new electric bill will be!

I have a booster pump but I didn't have a sweep when I bought the house. I ended up getting a vacuum and vs pump. I run for 2 hr on a higher speed for the vacuum and skimmer then 22 hr at 800 rpm. It's about 5.6 kw a day.
The booster pump will work fine with the main pump on low speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't mean to quote that

- - - Updated - - -

I may have miss read your original post. Did you get a 2 speed or a pentair vs

I got the Pentair Superflo 1hp dual speed. None of the shops in Oklahoma City carried it, and wanted outrageous prices to order it. The lowest was ~$700, the highest was here in Shawnee at $1080. I laughed at that one, literally, because I believe that is higher than retail and I told him so. He didn't care. So yeah, Amazon it was.

It is much quieter.

Is there not an issue running it on low with a sand filter? My single speed 2HP pump just died and I'm considering the B2983T but I read that someone showed a 4psi pressure on low and that doesnt seem enough to push water through my large sand filter. Do you have an issues?

Low speed is plenty for any filter. In fact, your filter will work better on lower speeds. Sometimes high speed can produce too much flow rate and push debris all the way through a filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.