Pump Surging Or Pulsing

May 15, 2009
I have a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1hp.

My pump has started surging or pulsing lately. I can tell because of the sound, and the hoses are always moving back and forth as if there is a slight pause in the pressure.

Is this normal or should my pressure always be the same coming from my pump?

It's not normal. Any bubbles in the strainer basket or noises in the skimmer? Does the skimmer weir move up and down smoothly?

Yes. There is a constant flow of water to the skimmer / pump.

I'm wondering if I have an air leak in my pump somewhere. When I turn the pump off water leaks from around the pump skimmer housing.

I changed all of the seals a few weeks ago, and the skimmer lid is secure.

riverwalker76 said:
Yes. There is a constant flow of water to the skimmer / pump.

I'm wondering if I have an air leak in my pump somewhere. When I turn the pump off water leaks from around the pump skimmer housing.

I changed all of the seals a few weeks ago, and the skimmer lid is secure.

You probably do have an air leak where the water is leaking. Where exactly is the water coming from?

riverwalker76 said:
The water is coming from the seal in between the Basket housing and the Pump Cover.

I replaced that o-ring when I replaced the others a few weeks ago, but for some reason it's still leaking.

I'd try lubricating the O-ring with pool lube. Then make sure the lid is tight.

thanks for the terrific forum; my brain gets bigger with every visit

My pump was surging this morning; we had a nice old storm last night in Dallas and a crud load of leaves coughed up all over the pool and yard.
So i suspected a clog in the plumbing - anyway here are the steps (after reading various posts and my pump manual) and things seem ok for now - touch wood:

0) turned off pump
1) emptied skimmers and vacuum filler bag - everything was chockers full of leaves
2) turned off the circuit breaker to the pump (i have a freeze protector so merely switching it off at the timer doesn't guarantee)
3) removed the pump filter cover at the pump and emptied the pump basket and also sprayed out the Crud inside it with a hose to the outside of the basket - probably about 30% lined with small leaf fragments
4) put my hand into the pump toward the impeller to see if i could touch any organic matter - none
5) separated the o-ring gasket from the cover and used a rag to clean the perimeter of the cover (a tiny bit of crud) - inspected and re-positioned gasket
6) replaced basket - replaced cover
7) opened air bleed valve on DE filter
8) turned on circuit breaker - turned on pump
9) waited for water to come out of filter air bleed valve (took 2 mins)
10) closed off valve - it appeared i still had the issue but to a lesser degree - pulsing was at longer intervals and not as dramatic
11) added water for 15 minutes to the pool
12) problem went away after 20 minutes and hasn't returned 4 hours later - steady stream from my pool descent and spa fountain now

hope that was helpful to some other newbie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.