Do you need FAS-DPD for everyday or is OTO or basic DPD ok?

wayner

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2012
Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have the Taylor FAS-DPD test where you use the powder and titrating agent but refills are hard to get and very expensive here in Canada. I have an SWCG and normally I don't have issues as I keep my CYA around 60 and my FC around 3-4.

My understanding is that one of the benefits of FAS-DPD is the accuracy at high FC levels. Since that isn't really an issue for me unless I have to SLAM, which I have never had to do, can I just use an OTO test or the basic DPD test daily such as is contained in the K-1001 kits. I can buy the reagents at a local store for much cheaper. And I can use the FAS-DPD tests once a week just to be sure, or if I have other problems.

FYI - the cost to just buy some FAS-DPD powder and titrating reagent including shipping and tax is about C$70.

Yes - use the OTO. While it's not perfect and only gives you an estimated idea of the presence of chlorine, the more you use it the more your eye gets trained to the shade that equal what you need (i.e. 3-4 ppm). You can use the FAS-DPD every few days or so to save on reagents and keep your "OTO eyesight" calibrated. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.