Kreepy Krawly hose getting green - how do you stop this?

wayner

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2012
Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My pool is nice and crystal clear but the blue semi-transparent hose for my KK is getting rather green. The KK and hose are about 5 years old or so which is probably beyond the life expectancy, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the hose from going green? I use the KK about a couple of days a week, otherwise it is stored in my pool cabana. I am guessing that the residual water left in the hose started to grow some algae and the clean, chlorinated water running through when I am using the KK does not have a high enough FC to clear it out. Or the algae is dead but just stuck in the ridges of the hose.

Is it a bad idea to continue to use a hose like this?

I have ordered a new generic KK-like unit for about $120 on Amazon so I will be replacing it this weekend, but I am just wondering if there is any way to prevent this from happening in the future?

That's a weird one! If it was mine, I'd fill the hose with pool water along with 50 ml (or 1/4 cup) of bleach. I'd do it a few times until I didn't see green. If it stayed green after that, then I'd assume it was just something happening due to age in the sun or something, but otherwise, the algae in it should not be allowed to live.

My new generic KK arrived and I am using it now - it will be harder to tell if this hose goes green as it is not as transparent as the old hose and actually is sort of a teal green colour to start with. I had to use a couple of my old hose sections since the hose that came with the new unit is not quite long enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.