First night swim. That was a mistake!

Jul 25, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
So last week i got home late from work. Tired. Warm. Time for a nice nights swim. Switched the pool lights on and got into the water. Now, the garden sprinklers were also active, so there was a nice romantic noise of splashing water around me. At least, i thought it was the sprinklers. Turned out there were hundreds of mosquitoes who either felt for a swim as well or wanted to go towards the lights. Or both.

So much for nights swimming.... :(

Thanks Kimmy ... looked up the reviews and it looks like most people do have very good results with that little lamp. It says 15x15" area so maybe two for bigger pools or decks.

The only foolproof way to kill mosquitos; you will need a wooden chopping board and a hammer.

Place mosquito on board, hit with hammer until dead, select next mosquito and repeat. Continue until all mosquitos are dead.

More seriously, there is no guaranteed way but you can minimise the problem:
- Eradicate static water breeding sites;
- Reduce lighting while bathing;
- Plant mosquito repealing plants like citronella around pool, although many say that this is not effective, it won't do any harm;
- Burn citronella oil or mosquito coils;
- UV lamp electricutors strategically placed;
- A fan blowing over the pool may deter them; and
- Stay submerged and wear a hat.

I would guess that covering yourself with repelant isn't going to be good for the pool.

We had this problem earlier with a wet spring. I bought 6 nice metal tiki torches from a big box h/w store, and placed around our pool deck area. Filled with citronella fuel and lit about 1/2 before we would go out. This worked very well, as the night before we were being bitten and that night, not at all. The only thing is that you need to bring the torches inside if its going to rain, so you don't get water into the fuel. The tops unscrew and I store them on a shelf with other garden supplies in garage when not in use.

086861110331.jpg
086861083741lg.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just move to a dry climate. Where I live snow is white stuff we only see at the top of the mountains, and you can hear a child say "Mommy, what is a mosquito?"

Right after we bought our house, my wife went for a swim at night unknown to me while I worked in the office. Not many mosquitos around here. As she was floating, she heard a coyote in the distance. The problem was when a pack answered her on the hill on our backyard. Walked to find her if she noticed and she was scrambling in the house white as a ghost. She said it wasn't funny but I couldn't stop laughing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.