Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First night swim. That was a mistake!

1. Back To Top    #1

First night swim. That was a mistake!

So last week i got home late from work. Tired. Warm. Time for a nice nights swim. Switched the pool lights on and got into the water. Now, the garden sprinklers were also active, so there was a nice romantic noise of splashing water around me. At least, i thought it was the sprinklers. Turned out there were hundreds of mosquitoes who either felt for a swim as well or wanted to go towards the lights. Or both.

So much for nights swimming....
    25m3, in-ground, home-built (or apparently some french company that didn't know what they were doing), vinyl liner
    Speck Badu 42/9 pump, Zodiac Boreal sand filter, Dolphin Zenit 10 robot
    pH 7.0-7.2, Cl 0.3-0.6mg/l

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: First night swim. That was a mistake!

We got some of the citronella torches for around our pool. It helps some. However, it's so dry here this year they haven't been as bad.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    We got some of the citronella torches for around our pool. It helps some. However, it's so dry here this year they haven't been as bad.
    I'm living in, or at least very close to a forest... Plenty of insects here.
    Google Maps
    25m3, in-ground, home-built (or apparently some french company that didn't know what they were doing), vinyl liner

5. Back To Top    #5

Amazon.com : OFF! Powerpad Lamp : Insects Lamp : Patio, Lawn Garden

We have this and LOVE it! It is almost like there is a shield around us! We set it on the deck and can swim in peace!

I have a pond close to the pool AND wetlands behind that so KNOW all about mosquitoes!!!!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Thanks Kimmy ... looked up the reviews and it looks like most people do have very good results with that little lamp. It says 15x15" area so maybe two for bigger pools or decks.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

My mom is convinced all of her children are going to get the Zika virus so she bought each of us a Dynatrap for our yards.
    Natural mosquito trap | Chemical free | No propane or gas | DYNATRAP Insect Trap

I have had mine for a week and a half and I cleaned it out yesterday. It was so full of bugs it was unreal. We have been sitting out at night and have seen a real difference.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

The only foolproof way to kill mosquitos; you will need a wooden chopping board and a hammer.

Place mosquito on board, hit with hammer until dead, select next mosquito and repeat. Continue until all mosquitos are dead.

More seriously, there is no guaranteed way but you can minimise the problem:
    - Eradicate static water breeding sites;
    - Reduce lighting while bathing;
    - Plant mosquito repealing plants like citronella around pool, although many say that this is not effective, it won't do any harm;
    - Burn citronella oil or mosquito coils;
    - UV lamp electricutors strategically placed;
    - A fan blowing over the pool may deter them; and
    - Stay submerged and wear a hat.

I would guess that covering yourself with repelant isn't going to be good for the pool.
    Nueva Viscaya, Philippines, IG, 36cum reinforced concrete, ceramic tiles. Completed June 2016. Hayward kit: DE6020 filter with 6 way Vari-flow valve, Max Flow XL SP2707Z1M single speed pump, Chlorine Feeder CL200. Perimeter overflow skimmer to sump. Waterfall feature. In pool LED lighting. Test kit BlueDevil pH, TCl], FCl, Alk, TDS meter, pH meter. Filled from my own well.

9. Back To Top    #9

Let's see if i can find that thing here in Spain.

Thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

We had this problem earlier with a wet spring. I bought 6 nice metal tiki torches from a big box h/w store, and placed around our pool deck area. Filled with citronella fuel and lit about 1/2 before we would go out. This worked very well, as the night before we were being bitten and that night, not at all. The only thing is that you need to bring the torches inside if its going to rain, so you don't get water into the fuel. The tops unscrew and I store them on a shelf with other garden supplies in garage when not in use.

38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

That is what this structure is for.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

This is an interesting thread Mosquito Control ideas needed

I'll be giving it a try for sure.
    Little ole baby pool. 14' x 42" Pro Series 3300G pool. AG Vinyl with metal frame. Currently installed are a Intex pump/sand filter SF60110 3000GPH and Intex SWG ECO8110. Filled with city water. TF100 Test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Just move to a dry climate. Where I live snow is white stuff we only see at the top of the mountains, and you can hear a child say "Mommy, what is a mosquito?"
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Had our first night swim last night....it was spectacular....must try again. I hope the mossy's stay away

15x30 Oval 13,500 Gal, IG Vinyl built Fall 2015,
    TF-100 test kit
    Pentair Sand Dollar 40 Pump & Filter System 1HP Dynamo
    Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Dolphin Nautilus

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

We just leave the light off (when it's my wife and I only) to avoid bugs. Doesn't keep the mosquitos away though - I blame our bushes.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

16. Back To Top    #16

Also consider giving Thermacells a try.
    Pool/Equipment: 20'x52" round Intex Ultra Frame AGP (~8,800 gallons)--Intex SWCG (CG-28669, 15K gallon model)--Intex Sand Filter Pump (SF60110, 16", 120lbs sand, 3K gph)--Hayward SP1091LX Through-Wall Skimmer--Hard Plumbing--Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit--TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Right after we bought our house, my wife went for a swim at night unknown to me while I worked in the office. Not many mosquitos around here. As she was floating, she heard a coyote in the distance. The problem was when a pack answered her on the hill on our backyard. Walked to find her if she noticed and she was scrambling in the house white as a ghost. She said it wasn't funny but I couldn't stop laughing.
    13k Pebbletec Pool/Spa, Hayward Ecostar, SGS Breeze 540 SWG, Pentair C&C 420 cartridge, Pentair MasterTemp Heater, Caretaker system, TF-100 & Taylor K1766 test kits