Chemicals Causing Corrosion on Stainless Steel

Aug 10, 2016
San Diego, CA
I was wondering if anyone has seen aggressive corrosion on SS304 with the following chemicals;

Calcium Hypochlorite pucks
Carbon Dioxide
Sodium Bisulphate
Hydrochloric Acid
Sodium Bicarbonate

I sent a sample off to get analyzed and the surface contaminants were Sodium, Chlorine, Sulfur and Calcium. Just looking for any help on this issue, Im not very familiar with pool water treatments. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP,

Is this corrosion above or below the water line? Anything in the water naturally or added later will precipitate at or above the water line to some degree, but nothing we suggest is going to make that any worse than any other method, but to answer your question, no. We don't see excessive reports of corroded 304 to my knowledge, but I would say such metal or any other is going to be exposed to more of the various salts in a pool environment. Salt pools would naturally tend to add a little more, but it would be expected. It's an aside, but pucks are usually made from Trichlor or Dichlor versus Calcium. Still, with any approved/traditional pool treatment, you are going to have a slightly more aggressive situation and there's no getting around it. How well any metal holds up in the face of that depends on its composition and quality. Not all are created equally or to exacting standards, especially in this arena. If you replace any, and have the choice, 316 would certainly be a better option but I don't know if said option exists.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.