Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what would average SWG Percentage be set at?

1. Back To Top    #1

South Shore - Massachusetts

what would average SWG Percentage be set at?

Living in Massachusetts, we get about 4 months pool usage, in a 22000 gal vinyl pool, what shouls an average T-15 Hayward be set at to keep FC levels around 6-7?
    "Keyhole" 20 X 40, approx. 24,000 gals., Salt Water, vinyl liner, Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG, Aqua Plus Controls, Hayward 1 1/2 hp Super Pump, Hayward Gas Heater, Hayward 4 Cartridge Filter, Solid Safety Cover with Center mesh panels, AquaBot Remote Control Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

San Antonio, TX

Re: what would average SWG Percentage be set at?

There is a mathematical calculation to figure out how much chlorine the T15 can produce in a given amount of time...but I try not to make it that complicated for me. I would manually dose the FC up to 6 with liquid bleach.

My pool is 14,000 gallons and I run my pump for 5 hours at 25-30% - CYA is 70-80. Assuming I lose 2-3 FC due to sunlight daily. These are the variables you need to consider. The CYA is important because if it is lower, sunlight will burn more FC - and this does have a significant impact on the run time in conjunction with % that you will need to maintain that FC6-7.

You are really going to have to see what works with your pool based on your water balances. So I recommend a liquid dose to 6, run the pump for whatever you feel keeps your pool clear of debris. If you are comfortable with 5-6 hours, then I would probably set it at 50% and measure at the end of day to see where FC landed. If it lands at 5 (dose back to 6 with liquid) and turn it up 10%. Then see what happens the next day.

If it lands at 7 that first day, I would leave the FC at 7, dial down 10% and see what happens next day - remember you start at 7, so if it ends at 6 the next you need to increase it some, say 5%.

I hope the explanation makes sense
    Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

The "average" setting that we see here is somewhere between 5% and 100%. . Sorry to sound snarky....the settings really are all over the place. I would follow jagger's suggestions above.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

I was going to say between 0 and 100, but Duraleigh's answer is much better because 0 is obviously wrong.

One of our members recently created a SWG run time calculator. Here is the thread, the calculator is in his sig, Formula for SWG / Pump Runtime?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine is set at 100% running 6 hrs/day to generate 2 ppm.

Here's yours per swg calc
    20k gallons, IG plaster, cartridge C-7487 (x4), A.O.Smith pool pump 1HP fixed @ 3450 rpm
    Hayward C-4000 filter, H400 pool/spa gas heater, A.O.Smith spa pump 2HP @3450 rpm
    Breeze Pool Control System (installed Sept 2000), Hayward SWP15, auto MA injection via Stenner
    Dolphin Triton cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006, K-1766, OTO Test kit & Test strips.

6. Back To Top    #6

Western NC

There are many variables and there is no one setting that will guarantee you 6-7 ppm.

Test frequently and adjust accordingly.

(i'm getting sloppy myself and testing less than twice weekly but I think that may come back and bite me after a while.)
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips