Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH keeps rising

1. Back To Top    #1

PH keeps rising

Can someone help me? All my levels seem to be normal, but my PH keeps rising to 8.0 or higher every couple of days.
    Pool has been crystal clear since I found this site, learned how to slam and got the CC to 0. Haven't had any issues except the PH.
    Currently pool levels are:
    CYA -30
    TA-180
    PH-8.0
    FC-.5
    Is this normal for it to keep going this high?
    Thanks
    Inground, Vinyl Liner, 27,500 gallon, Hayward Sand Filter S-220T older, New Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump 1.5HP,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH keeps rising

Looks like your TA is a bit elevated which will allow pH to rise faster. You could use some help from the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Try lowering that TA down to around 80 or so and see how that works for you.

Also, if your FC is truly 0.5, that's too low. You should increase that ASAP to about 4-5ppm to prevent an algae bloom from starting. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Looks like your TA is a bit elevated which will allow pH to rise faster. You could use some help from the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. Try lowering that TA down to around 80 or so and see how that works for you.

Also, if your FC is truly 0.5, that's too low. You should increase that ASAP to about 4-5ppm to prevent an algae bloom from starting. Hope that helps.
    I thought I should keep FC at 2 or below as that is what it said in the Taylor kit. Is 4-5 more recommended for me because it takes into consideration the CYA? So 4-5 is ok to swim in? I will add a gallon right now. I have kept it at 2 or under since I ended my slamming over a month ago. I don't want to go through that again!
    Inground, Vinyl Liner, 27,500 gallon, Hayward Sand Filter S-220T older, New Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump 1.5HP,

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Does this chart make sense to you? Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

If not please ask questions.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry, but one other question I forgot to ask, I added my sodium bisulfate to get the PH down this morning. About 2 hours ago. Is it safe to add my gallon of chlorine now or should I wait?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, please follow the levels listed on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. We always balance FC with the current CYA as they work together. The water is safe to swim in as long as you don't exceed the SLAM/Shock FC level based on your current CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

You can add the bleach now.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Does this chart make sense to you? Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

If not please ask questions.
    I only referred to that when I was slamming. I haven't looked at it since. Was going off the Taylor Kit pamphlet. Yes that answers my FC question thanks for pointing that out.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, please follow the levels listed on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. We always balance FC with the current CYA as they work together. The water is safe to swim in as long as you don't exceed the SLAM/Shock FC level based on your current CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

You can add the bleach now.
    Thanks for your help. I will do that and take care of the TA and see if that helps.