Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green diving pool Rio

1. Back To Top    #1

Talking Green diving pool Rio

My second pool in Rio has gone green. Any suggestions for getting it fixed by tomorrow morning?

Nueva Viscaya, Philippines, IG, 36cum reinforced concrete, ceramic tiles. Completed June 2016. Hayward kit: DE6020 filter with 6 way Vari-flow valve, Max Flow XL SP2707Z1M single speed pump, Chlorine Feeder CL200. Perimeter overflow skimmer to sump. Waterfall feature. In pool LED lighting. Test kit BlueDevil pH, TCl], FCl, Alk, TDS meter, pH meter. Filled from my own well.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green diving pool Rio

How green is the green?

Share a pic and your current test results

We shall see what can be done, if anything.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

image.jpeg
    Here you go!

Nueva Viscaya, Philippines, IG, 36cum reinforced concrete, ceramic tiles. Completed June 2016. Hayward kit: DE6020 filter with 6 way Vari-flow valve, Max Flow XL SP2707Z1M single speed pump, Chlorine Feeder CL200. Perimeter overflow skimmer to sump. Waterfall feature. In pool LED lighting. Test kit BlueDevil pH, TCl], FCl, Alk, TDS meter, pH meter. Filled from my own well.

4. Back To Top    #4

LOL
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hilarious! I still don't know if the story about the green pool wastrue or not, but I was reading FB posts where people were saying "Oh just add some copper sulphate and some "shock" and it will be clear blue by morning".
    I was thinking, umm, no. You need to SLAM the heck out that pool! Better order the TF-100 with XXXXL Option!
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Possibly someone thought it was St Patrick's day?
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    How green is the green?

Share a pic and your current test results

We shall see what can be done, if anything.

I still love how Kim was ready to help someone before realizing they were talking about Rio Olympics. That's good stuff right there!
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

8. Back To Top    #8

haah...I noticed that.

Someone forgot that outdoor pools require CYA
    16x34 In-ground vinyl pool (22,000ish gallons), Sand Filter, K-2006 test kit, SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Apparently this is why:

FINA can confirm that the reason for the unusual water color observed during the Rio diving competitions is that the water tanks ran out of some of the chemicals used in the water treatment process.
    “As a result, the pH level of the water was outside the usual range, causing the discoloration. The FINA Sport Medicine Committee conducted tests on the water quality and concluded that there was no risk to the health and safety of the athletes, and no reason for the competition to be affected.

10. Back To Top    #10

As a result, the pH level of the water was outside the usual range, causing the discoloration.
    Seems unlikely, unless of course they mean pH went up to a point where FC was ineffective and they got algae? Then it seems likely
    Lee Mims - Orange, TX, 25400 gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Chlorine Feeder, Century 1081 2-Speed Pool & Spa Pump, Hayward H350FDN (350k BTU) Natural Gas Water Heater, Paramount O3 Ozone, Hayward Super II Pump for Waterfall, Aqualink RS System w/ Remote (Jandy), Taylor K-2006 Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Some divers complained because it was so dark they couldnt see the bottom of the pool while others liked it because it gave them some frame of reference instead of seeing blue pool and then blue sky when doing those flips. Someone better sent in the clorox tanker to clean that bugger up. I noticed yesterday it still had a nice green tint to it.
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Must be plenty of chlorine in there now as it turn Ryan Lochte's newly died hair greem
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by GaryT58 View Post
    Must be plenty of chlorine in there now as it turn Ryan Lochte's newly died hair greem
    Fallacy. Chlorine does not turn blonde hair green. Copper ions present in the pool do that. They have likely added copper based algaecide to the pool... which also won't help.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

lol they need some help I think.
    AGP 33' x 54" Lomart Verona, Approx. 27,300 gallons, Pentair cartridge filter/pump 2-speed, 1.5 hp, Dolphin Escape robotic cleaner.

15. Back To Top    #15

It would be nice if a mod could consolidate the threads about this subject on this site as there are at least seven of them.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

16. Back To Top    #16

Hmmm, I've thought about it but that might be a wreck.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

My husband wanted me to see what my fellow TFP members had to say about this.
    Same things I've been telling him down to the Copper ions turning Lochte's hair green NOT copious amounts of chlorine.

Just shaking my head over this whole Rio experience. Seems like the most inexperienced of us could handle the pools better than they are doing.
    At least I would know to call on all of you if I needed help
    JoanC--Rome, GA
    18.5 x 41 Grecian IG Vinyl--34,000 Gallons
    Hayward S244T -Sand Filter - design flow rate 62GPM, Turnover 29,760 G/per 8hr
    1 HP-single speed pump motor. TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir
    Presume pool built with house 1989. Owner since 2002.