Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Seal Moss Rock Waterfall and Flagstone coping?

1. Back To Top    #1

Seal Moss Rock Waterfall and Flagstone coping?

I have one more week to prepare. I've heard conflicting reports on whether to seal or not. So what say you TFP brethren?

or

18k gallon, 20x32, salt IC20, gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump, cartridge filter, heater, etc., acid dispenser.
    TF-100 kit for sparkling clean water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Seal Moss Rock Waterfall and Flagstone coping?

Here is the story I always tell when asked this question..

My daughter has a pool with flagstone coping. You can just look at the coping and identify the flaking stones. Some of the stones have very thin layers that just naturally flake off over time. The flagstone coping was put in about a year before we added the Salt Water system. The stones that were bad before we went with salt water, are still bad, but not any worse. The stones that looked good before the salt water system was installed, still look good, with no signs of deterioration.

I believe that if you could personally select the stones that were to be used on your pool, you'd never have a problem and would not have to seal anything. But... that is not likely to happen.

I'm also not sure how successful sealing would work on the bad or flaky stones. I can't see in my mind how sealing would stop the problem, as I think it is the make up of the stone that is the issue.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Here is the story I always tell when asked this question..

My daughter has a pool with flagstone coping. You can just look at the coping and identify the flaking stones. Some of the stones have very thin layers that just naturally flake off over time. The flagstone coping was put in about a year before we added the Salt Water system. The stones that were bad before we went with salt water, are still bad, but not any worse. The stones that looked good before the salt water system was installed, still look good, with no signs of deterioration.

I believe that if you could personally select the stones that were to be used on your pool, you'd never have a problem and would not have to seal anything. But... that is not likely to happen.

I'm also not sure how successful sealing would work on the bad or flaky stones. I can't see in my mind how sealing would stop the problem, as I think it is the make up of the stone that is the issue.

Jim R.

I understand your reasoning. Flaking flagstone will flake no matter what. My worry is whether or not salt is corrosive enough to damage to the good flagstone pieces. Also, any idea on moss rock? Thanks.
    18k gallon, 20x32, salt IC20, gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump, cartridge filter, heater, etc., acid dispenser.

4. Back To Top    #4

I am on season 5 with flag and salt. 90+% of my coping looks exactly the same as it did the day it was installed. My PB did a great job of picking out good dense stone. I have some flaky flagstone on some paths that is flaky and no saltwater near it. There is a link to pics in my signature.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

We had discussed this in one of the other threads. Salt is not the issue at the concentrations that we deal with in pools, it's just an easy target to dodge warranty issues.

Jim explained it perfectly. The actual stone you install has a lot to do with how is going to hold up in the long run.

I would equate it to teeth. Some people are blessed with very hard and dense teeth that they can abuse and neglect as they please and never have a cavity or other issue. Other people have weak enamel and no matter what they do for preventative care, they continue to have trouble.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, so flagstone doesn't need it, what about moss rock?

7. Back To Top    #7

Nope, the moss rock up here is very dense. I am not a fan of sealing anything. A couple of the rocks in our waterfall are sandstone and we get a little sand in the pool over time. But at this rate the erosion is so slow that I'm not worried about it. I'd rather replace a couple of rocks in 20 years than reseal them every year.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach