How Much Chlorine To Keep On Hand

My pool has turned green and seems to be suffering from a algae bloom. Tomorrow my Taylor K 2006 test kit arrives and I would like to begin the SLAM process. I am new to pool chemistry, so please excuse my ignorance.

I am wondering how much chlorine would you recommend to keep on hand for a 15,000 gallon pool with a CYA of 50? I am sure there is no exact answer to the question, but what would be the ball park amount of chlorine to have on hand for this process? I have two 2.5 gallon jugs which I will have both filled. If thats plenty, do I dump all 5 gallons, refill, then wait until it begins to go close to dropping below shock level, or should I take a slower approach, dumping a little, test then dump again?

Just trying to get my feelers on how this is implemented.

Thanks!

Also, please update your signature as stated in this post: What we need to know to answer your questions

Please post a full set of numbers.

Once you start the SLAM, test frequently. The 1st day, it is beneficial to test as much as every hour or until the loss starts to slow. Then you can slow that down as the pool stops eating FC so quickly. Each time you test, you will add enough Chlorine to bring it back to SLAM / SHOCK level.

As far as how much Chlorine to keep in on hand once your pool is clear. Well, a typical pool loses 2-4 PPM of FC per day. The demand changes based on weather, amount of sun exposure and pool usage. So, for example, lets say your pool averages a loss of 3 ppm during the summer, you would need 67oz per day (about 1/2 gallon). So for 1 week, you will need 3.5 gallons in that scenario.

Also, keep in mind that Chlorine weakens over time so storing a 50 gallons of it is probably not a great idea. If I were you, I would keep 6-8 gallons on hand. That will give you a extra week supply and some extra to add when the usage is high and you need to bump up the FC some more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.