Our pool is an inground 13'x35' with 20 000 gallons (we use 85 000 liters) of water. We have a sand filter and chlorinate with pucks in the skimmer. Pool has a heater and we keep the temperature at 76-78 degrees. For the past three years we have had trouble with copper staining on the vinyl liner and steps. After many hours of research and calls we discovered that the problem was caused by the Algaesolve 2250 product we were using. This year we solved the copper problem using IPG Metaban and a CUlater bag in the pump basket. But this required keeping the Chlorine at 2ppm or less. A different type of Algae Treatment containing no copper is now being used weekly. For three weeks our pool was pristine!
However - a very hot summer caused the water to evaporate below the skimmer line so last Saturday we had 4000 litres added to the pool. On Sunday it was cloudy so I added several (5 or 6) litres of 10% liquid chlorine left over from opening in May. On Monday I took a sample for testing and it shows 0 chlorine 0 FC Ph 6.4 TA 40 CH 150 Stabilizer 0 Phosphate 1000 and Shock Treatment 0. The pool company instructions were to add 9 kg of Alkalinity Plus ( I only had 5 litres so that's what I put) distributed over the pool surface. 2litres of Phosphate remover liquid were poured along the pools edges, then 1200 grams (1.2kg) of Shock Plus were premixed and added.
Today the pool is still cloudy and when we backwashed and rinsed a lot of pink slime was found in the pump basket and in the skimmer basket. I read in an old thread that this is actually a bacterium of the genus Methylobacteriuma. So slamming the pool will be necessary to get rid of this nasty pink slime?
The only test kit I have is Chlorine and Ph reagents or test strips which have TA and CH, I think.
Tonight the Chlorine appears to be at about 0.5 and the Ph at 6.8.
Hope someone can help.