First SLAM

Aug 5, 2016
Rockford/MI
Hi all, new to the forum. This is our first season with a pool, so really learning a lot this year! Anyways, we had a bad algae outbreak that never really got under control after a vacation in June, and it just got worse after another week away in July. That is when I found this forum and switched methods from pool store shopping to TFP method. I am very happy so far! It is way easier than I thought. I love my test kit, and I have been able to easily regulate the FC levels while SLAMing to battle the algae.

I started Saturday and have been keeping the FC level at 16, CYA was 40 when I started, pH 7.3. My CC level has never been above 1. So far I have gone from a hazy cloudy pea green to a moderately cloudy blue with a faint green only in the deep end. Today is the first day I have really seen a significant improvement in the clarity of the water where I can see the deep end ledge and can see down to the shallow end floor. I am really hopeful that it will clear up over the next several days to week with 24 hour filtration and continued high FC levels. I am brushing the pool walls a couple times a day as well.

I guess what I am wondering is if I am being realistic with my expectations of having a clear pool in the next week? How long does it usually take with a pool as big as mine to run clear with a sand filter? Any other advise? We are getting a pool robot which should be delivered in the next day or two (not that I don't appreciate the upper body workout with brushing a 20x40 pool). One thing I was thinking of was adding DE to the sand filter to improve filtration. I did flock the pool after our June algae bloom and it was a huge PIA to say the least, so I really want to just let things clear on their own through SLAMing. I really would love to have clear water again before we have to close!

THe more often you test, dose and re-test and re-dose (even hourly at first) will truly speed things up the most. Brush daily, monitor your pressure gauge and keep on keeping on....

DE added to the sand filter towards the end of a SLAM is helpful. I've never had algae but add DE to my filter and it seems like it polishes the water up and helps it sparkle. Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

So I bought a Dolphin Nautilus robotic pool cleaner, which I am in love with. I added some DE today. I think I am nearing the end of the SLAM as the clarity is improving and it's no longer green. Unfortunately I ran out of reagent to test chlorine levels, so I am anxiously awaiting a delivery. I threw in a gallon of 8.25% last night just because it is still cloudy. Note to self, have a large bottle of reagent on hand when starting SLAM! It's all a learning process, isn't it?!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.