Rio Olympic pool

Oct 9, 2015
Niagara Falls
Looks like Rio isn't following the TFP method.

(am I too late, has this joke been made?)
df52d217eee827d98a00e90d573419e1.jpg

Sent from a tiny keyboard.

Well, I can tell you there is no CYA test other than strips available in country. This might have something to do with it. But as someone who managed an outdoor pool with no CYA for 20 years, there is no way a zero CYA pool goes green like that if it gets its daily dose of chlorine at night. Just impossible. And after all, the bather load on a diving pool is relatively small for the volume of water.

I'd bet someone sold them rock salt instead of Chlorine or someone just forgot to treat that pool. That kind of stuff happens in Brazil. [I lived there for fifteen years.]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
These people should not be running swimming pools. This is either a chemical reaction to something that got dumped into the pool overnight, or there's no effective chlorine in it. My guess is they have a skyrocketed CYA level and chlorine even at high shock levels is doing nothing.

I'm betting the only reason the official pool isn't green too is because it's bigger and would take longer to do this. Poor swimmers are probably now practicing in chlorine levels of 25ppm or more.

"“Water tests at Maria Lenk Aquatic Center diving pool were conducted and found to be no risk to the athletes’ health.”

Officials said they were investigation the cause of the “situation.” However, Rio spokesman Mario Andrada told the Associated Press that the culprit behind the color change was “a proliferation of algae.” “This was because of heat and a lack of wind,” he said.

Andrada added that chemical tests were conducted and that the pool should be blue again soon."

(emphasis mine)
Here’s Why the Water in the Rio Olympics Diving Pool Turned Green

So sad that top athletes have to be in that water at all.

The article that I read said it turned green because the pH was out of balance....lol And it also said one of the drums of chemicals had run out....maybe that was your chlorine, duh. Seems like they need some help, is there even a walmart there to get any bleach from?

Crazy!!

When I saw that pool I googled it, One report was " the alkalinity was low, yea right, I said. Looked at another news site said the Ph as out of balance and could cause pool to turn green LoL.

A pool on the worlds stage, and they can't add enough sanitizer??

The funny part is that most people on this forum could have kept that pool clean! It's sad that they don't have someone professional enough to keep adequate chlorine in the Olympic pool. That was a relatively simple problem to avoid during such a big event.

The better part is reading facebook comments from the stories and people with there advice. I follow one of my local pool stores on facebook and even they posted the story....which took so much self control not to comment about them pushing products like algae killer...etc to people when they have pools green like this.

The better part is reading facebook comments from the stories and people with there advice. I follow one of my local pool stores on facebook and even they posted the story....which took so much self control not to comment about them pushing products like algae killer...etc to people when they have pools green like this.

Imagine all the people using the reasons stated in the mainstream articles to explain why their home pools turn green. "Honey, our pool is green! Oh it's ok, I seen on the olympics that it was just a pH/alkalinity issue. They said it was safe to swim in too. The pool store facebooked that they didn't have enough algaecide....... Better go stock up!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.