Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rio Olympic pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Rio Olympic pool

Looks like Rio isn't following the TFP method.

(am I too late, has this joke been made?)

Sent from a tiny keyboard.
    18x36 extended octogon IG Vinyl, ~ 110,000L (~29,000 gal)
    Jacuzzi FM24 Sand Filter, Hayward SuperPumpII 1hp
    Pentair Intellichlor SWG - IC-40
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rio Olympic pool

What's got me is almost all the articles I read say it "mysteriously" happened. Like no one knows what caused it!

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Scandal sells. Or maybe it IS a mystery to them. I mean they did fail to properly sanitize a litteral OLYMPIC POOL.

TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I heard a lot of the swimmers would not swim in the practice pool because it was cloudy.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

5. Back To Top    #5

that pool is outdoors. Someone mentioned in the thread earlier today that perhaps there's no CYA because it's typically an indoor-style pool. Maybe the CL got burned off faster than they anticipated.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Probably phosphates {wink}

TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

They use the pool store!!!
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, I can tell you there is no CYA test other than strips available in country. This might have something to do with it. But as someone who managed an outdoor pool with no CYA for 20 years, there is no way a zero CYA pool goes green like that if it gets its daily dose of chlorine at night. Just impossible. And after all, the bather load on a diving pool is relatively small for the volume of water.

I'd bet someone sold them rock salt instead of Chlorine or someone just forgot to treat that pool. That kind of stuff happens in Brazil. [I lived there for fifteen years.]
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

9. Back To Top    #9

Pretty big thing to forget to do.

TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Send them a TF-100 test kit immediately!
    AG Round Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48", 5050 gallons
    Intex 28681EG / CS20110 Combo Sand Filter Pump & Salt Water System
    Intex Auto Pool Cleaner, Intex Wall Mount Skimmer, Intex LED Pool Sprayer
    TF-100, K-1766, Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

Ha ha! I logged on just to post about this. Yeah, no one has any idea why it's green. Geez.
    14,000 gallon above ground 24ftx56in round vinyl overlap liner steel wall sand filter 1/2 hp pump heavy lime in city water morning shade

12. Back To Top    #12

These people should not be running swimming pools. This is either a chemical reaction to something that got dumped into the pool overnight, or there's no effective chlorine in it. My guess is they have a skyrocketed CYA level and chlorine even at high shock levels is doing nothing.

I'm betting the only reason the official pool isn't green too is because it's bigger and would take longer to do this. Poor swimmers are probably now practicing in chlorine levels of 25ppm or more.
    26k Gal. 18' x 38' Gunite/White Plaster Roman style in-ground pool, straight Clorox bleach sanitizer, DE filter, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor Salt Test Kit, Borate Drop test

13. Back To Top    #13

"“Water tests at Maria Lenk Aquatic Center diving pool were conducted and found to be no risk to the athletes’ health.”

Officials said they were investigation the cause of the “situation.” However, Rio spokesman Mario Andrada told the Associated Press that the culprit behind the color change was “a proliferation of algae.” “This was because of heat and a lack of wind,” he said.

Andrada added that chemical tests were conducted and that the pool should be blue again soon."

(emphasis mine)
    Here’s Why the Water in the Rio Olympics Diving Pool Turned Green

So sad that top athletes have to be in that water at all.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

14. Back To Top    #14

The yesterday image looks cloudy too, algae bloom already in progress, just has't gone green yet. Today the water polo pool started turning green. And the diving pool is still green... Oh God, Another Olympic Pool Turned Green
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

15. Back To Top    #15

The article that I read said it turned green because the pH was out of balance....lol And it also said one of the drums of chemicals had run out....maybe that was your chlorine, duh. Seems like they need some help, is there even a walmart there to get any bleach from?
    21,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, TF100 test kit, pool is about 15 years old.
    new in 2016 - Hayward SWCG with T15 cell

16. Back To Top    #16

Crazy!!

When I saw that pool I googled it, One report was " the alkalinity was low, yea right, I said. Looked at another news site said the Ph as out of balance and could cause pool to turn green LoL.

A pool on the worlds stage, and they can't add enough sanitizer??
    Steve- 19K IG PebbleTec (sandy beach color pebble) final plaster/pebble August 2015
    Jandy pro cartridge filter
    Jandy pro series Plus HP PHPF pump w/waterfall
    Polaris 360 pressure cleaner- TF-100 w/SpeedStir
    50ppm Borates

17. Back To Top    #17

The funny part is that most people on this forum could have kept that pool clean! It's sad that they don't have someone professional enough to keep adequate chlorine in the Olympic pool. That was a relatively simple problem to avoid during such a big event.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

18. Back To Top    #18

The better part is reading facebook comments from the stories and people with there advice. I follow one of my local pool stores on facebook and even they posted the story....which took so much self control not to comment about them pushing products like algae killer...etc to people when they have pools green like this.
    16x32 Kidney Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, Omnilogic, Tristar Vari Flo Sand Filter, Colour Logic LED, WFSD Waterfall, 250 BTU Millivolt, GVA-24 Valve Actuator TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by supercanadian View Post
    The better part is reading facebook comments from the stories and people with there advice. I follow one of my local pool stores on facebook and even they posted the story....which took so much self control not to comment about them pushing products like algae killer...etc to people when they have pools green like this.
    Imagine all the people using the reasons stated in the mainstream articles to explain why their home pools turn green. "Honey, our pool is green! Oh it's ok, I seen on the olympics that it was just a pH/alkalinity issue. They said it was safe to swim in too. The pool store facebooked that they didn't have enough algaecide....... Better go stock up!"

Summer waves AG, 4800 gallons approximately when to fill level, 18'x48" metal frame with vinyl liner pool. TF100 test kit ordered. Running on stock pump and cartridge filter. Running on city water.

20. Back To Top    #20

And this just in...

"Rio officials closed the green diving pool Friday morning after the water began to smell 'like a fart'"

Report: Rio officials close green diving pool after water begins to smell 'like a fart' - Business Insider
    ----------------------------------------------------
    25000 (?) gallon Plaster IG roman-end pool (18x36, give or take, 8 ft deep end), 7 ft round spa-spillover to pool
    Nautilis FNS-48 DE Filter, disconnected separation tank
    1.5HP single speed main pump. 3/4 HP pressure-side cleaner pump.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast