Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump all return water through heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

pump all return water through heater?

Hey all, I have a question about waterflow through the heater. I have a 18k gal pool, full pentair system with TritonII sand filter. The output of the VS pump goes into the sand filter, then out of the sand filter into a 3 way valve. One output of the 3 way goes to the gas heater, the other outlet goes directly to the pool return. The outlet of the heater is plumbed also to the same pool return as the 3 way valve outlet using a T fitting. This is nice I guess since I can isolate the heater or future solar completely from the system. However, my pool builder said I should set the valve so that the heater loop and direct return are both open. This doesn't make any sense to me as I don't think in this configuration there is going to be any pressure differential to push water through the heater at all. It should be all or nothing (or am I mistaken). Maybe it's set up like this because I am pre-plumbed for solar???

Thanks guys and gals!
    -J

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: pump all return water through heater?

Any pictures could help

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The pool builder's suggestion would prevent stagnant water in the heater and is good practice if you don't have an automation system. Most of the flow will go straight to the return line and some of the water will make it through the heater.

If you choose to close the heater from the loop, you'll need to circulate the water in the heater at least a couple times a week.

Take a look at THIS thread for some info on the benefits of a bypass.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

4. Back To Top    #4

Cool... It's not that I want to bypass the heater, I'm fine with keeping it in the loop wide open. Just wondering why you need a bypass in the first place.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Most heaters are horribly restrictive. Why waste the energy energy of it can be avoided? I'd say your builder did you a favor.
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    Most heaters are horribly restrictive. Why waste the energy energy of it can be avoided? I'd say your builder did you a favor.
    I have my system plumbed the same way as the OP. I have the valves set to have all the return water run thru the heater with no added pressure observed on the filter gauge. That proves my heater is not restrictive.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

You have a single speed pump so you won't see much difference because of the pressure/ flow rates. A bypass make a big difference on a VS on low speeds
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD