Equipment to pay attention to?

Aug 9, 2016
Driftwood, TX
Hi All - first pool ever. Working through quotes right now. Wanted guidance on equipment. What's necessary, what's a luxury, what's the lowest maintenance for us, etc. Overall pool dimensions are roughly 31' x 16 1/2', freeform shape with reef entry steps and standard bench. Depth of 3 1/2' - 6'. Spa is approx. 8'x7', raised 18" above pool with spillway.

For equipment:
1) Hayward 400,000 but induced draft digital heater
2) Hayward 60 sq.ft. DE filter with backwash valve
3) Hayward 2 HP eco-star (max flow) variable speed filter pump
4) Polaris 360 automatic pool sweep
5) Hayward 500 watt pool light (1)
6) Hayward 100 watt spa light with interchangeable colored lenses on dedicated light switch (1)

For plumbing:
1) Schedule 40 PVC 2 1/2" suction lines for pool filtration with split main drains, anti-vortex covers
2) Schedule 40 PVC 2" return lines / 3 returns
3) Schedule 40 PVC 1 1/2" dedicated pool sweep plumping for automatic pool sweep system with vac-lock
4) Schedule 40 PVC 2 1/2" independent spa jet plumbing with 5 total jets
5) Manual fill line
6) Automatic dual port skimmer
7) 4" overflow drain

Is there anything "missing" from the equipment? Handheld wifi controls for the spa? An auto-leveler for the pool? (I honestly don't know anything about what's nice to have with a pool. I'm seriously googling everything and just comparing the quotes against each other. Any guidance is SOOOOO appreciated!!

Hi, Welcome to TFP,

I suggest you ditch the Polaris 360, and replace it with a Robot cleaner. The Polaris will require you to run the pump to clean your pool and I suspect it will need a pretty high RPM to operate. The whole idea of a Variable Speed pump is for energy savings, so running the pump at high RPM, while cleaning, will negate some of the energy reduction the VS pump can provide. Google Dolphin Robot cleaners and check out what they can do.

A salt water pool, with an Automatic Chlorine Generator or (SWCG) is a smart move. It makes taking care of the pool chemicals a much easier task. In my opinion, it is a requirement, not an option.. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

As a second of sorts, yes to robot over Polaris 360, yes to SWCG. I'd also recommend getting the T-15 cell, the largest one. You don't need the largest, but it's the best choice for long term value and ability to run the pump less.

Also, I would not go with the 500W and 100W lights. I'd get two full-size and one spa-size Colorlogic LED lights and one or two Color Logic 320 lights for the reef. Halogen are old school at this point. Color LED's will amaze you with their beauty.

I noticed the heater, so it might be worth thinking about how you would use a pool cover, in case you want it down the track. A cover will extend your swimming season and reduce heating cost, but wouldn't fall into the low maintenance category, unless you go automated. An automated pool cover can reduce maintenance a lot, but of course not a great option for free-form shapes.

I would also go with a robot over a pressure cleaner given the option. A robot does most of the pool brushing, saving maintenance time.

I'm strongly in favor of SWC as well, but It might be worthwhile for you to do some reading here so you're up to speed and ready for Texas pool builder pushback. Their concerns are unfounded, but you may as well be ready for it. Lots of experience here to keep you on the right track in this respect. Here's a thread for starters: Texas vs. SWG - What is the deal

I wouldn't involve the pool builder in this part, but I would plan to add an acid-injector after the build, which will help reduce maintenance time, and free you up for absences as well.

- - - Updated - - -

T-15 is the largest SWC cell that Hayward makes. The economics will be best with that choice.

A saltwater chlorinator has a replaceable element that gets replaced after 5 or so years. You can put different sizes in the same Hayward Aqua-rite cell housing, but the T-15 is your best choice, for not much more money up front.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.