confused about CYA and ph

Aug 9, 2016
Lawrence
Hi all, long time lurker. Thanks for all the advice over the years. I have a new problem. Our pump motor died about two weeks ago just prior to going out of town. I was unable to receive a new pump prior to leaving. I tried to cYA levels tend to run high because we use cartridge filters and dont need to backwash so it just builds over the summer. We drained the pool halfway and are refilling. The levels are still near 100 and the ph is 8.8! Why would an algae blood cause the ph to be so high? I would think algae would produce acidic by products. Anway, more puzzling is the cya. I decided to test a clean sample of city water. cya=50! Is my city using stabilized chorine to treat our water? Is there another chemical in city water that reacts with the cya strip? Have others noticed this? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Test strips are an unreliable way to test any pool chemical accurately and reliably. Pool stores that use electronic systems are just as bad as test strips for CYA and FC/CC levels. The only way to properly test for CYA and FC/CC is to use a test kit supplied with Taylor reagents.

There is nearly zero chance your city water has cyanuric acid in it, especially at that concentration. Your strips are bad to start with and perhaps expired or compromised.

:goodpost: I haven't seen a post yet were anyone reported having any CYA in their tap/well water, other than this one.

:wave: Welcome to TFP chiefgarner1

Were you using strips to test for pH too :confused:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.