Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: confused about CYA and ph

1. Back To Top    #1

confused about CYA and ph

Hi all, long time lurker. Thanks for all the advice over the years. I have a new problem. Our pump motor died about two weeks ago just prior to going out of town. I was unable to receive a new pump prior to leaving. I tried to cYA levels tend to run high because we use cartridge filters and dont need to backwash so it just builds over the summer. We drained the pool halfway and are refilling. The levels are still near 100 and the ph is 8.8! Why would an algae blood cause the ph to be so high? I would think algae would produce acidic by products. Anway, more puzzling is the cya. I decided to test a clean sample of city water. cya=50! Is my city using stabilized chorine to treat our water? Is there another chemical in city water that reacts with the cya strip? Have others noticed this? Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: confused about CYA and ph

Welcome to TFP!

Test strips are an unreliable way to test any pool chemical accurately and reliably. Pool stores that use electronic systems are just as bad as test strips for CYA and FC/CC levels. The only way to properly test for CYA and FC/CC is to use a test kit supplied with Taylor reagents.

There is nearly zero chance your city water has cyanuric acid in it, especially at that concentration. Your strips are bad to start with and perhaps expired or compromised.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I haven't seen a post yet were anyone reported having any CYA in their tap/well water, other than this one.

Welcome to TFP chiefgarner1

Were you using strips to test for pH too
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

yes. I figured thats what it was. I have a taylor kit but ran out of the cya reagent. Thanks to both of you for your help!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

For quick chlorine testing, I would use a color match kit such as the K-1000 included with the Taylor K-2006 and the TF-100. That also is the best way to test pH with the K-1000.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Best place (IMHO) for those strips is the circular file
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!