Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DuPont Restore splashed into pool, what to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

DuPont Restore splashed into pool, what to do?

Am having slate around pool cleaned & sealed. Contractor using product Dupont Restore.
    Not much but some splashes into the pool.
    Contains
    phosphoric acid
    glycolic acid
    alcohol ethoxylate

Called distributor and their tech support said we know nothing about pools. Said I should call a doctor. Huh?

So is a little splash in bad?
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DuPont Restore splashed into pool, what to do?

It's fine. The glycolic acid and alcohol ethoxylate will break down from chlorine exposure. You do need to be careful around the pool though - a splash is ok but running off that stuff into the pool is no good. So tell the contractor to be more mindful.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I'm no expert but I'd try poison control and try to get a hold of the products MSDS on line.
    Less than a gallon ?? Less than half a gallon ??

I'd sure leave the filter going 24/7 for now.

Edit: MSDS - - > Google
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to be a bit more specific, the glycolic acid is the only component that should concern you because it can breakdown in water and form oxalic acid which is toxic IN LARGE QUANTITIES (causes kidney failure due to stone formation). HOWEVER, the amount of GA in this cleaning product is 1-5% based on the MSDS and the product is typically diluted 1:1 for heavy cleaning application. So if some splashed into the pool, the GA would be heavily diluted and not to worrisome.

As I said, tell the contractor to be careful. You might need to cover the pool while they work.

FYI - DryTreat Eff-Erayza is a better product to use around pools as it is urea hydrogen chloride based which is easily broken down in pool water...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
    I'm no expert but I'd try poison control and try to get a hold of the products MSDS on line.
    Less than a gallon ?? Less than half a gallon ??

I'd sure leave the filter going 24/7 for now.

Edit: MSDS - - > Google
    called local poison control > they only have info on the product out of the bottle, not dilute in pool
    gotta be < ˝ gal
    will read MSDA
    thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Just to be a bit more specific, the glycolic acid is the only component that should concern you because it can breakdown in water and form oxalic acid which is toxic IN LARGE QUANTITIES (causes kidney failure due to stone formation). HOWEVER, the amount of GA in this cleaning product is 1-5% based on the MSDS and the product is typically diluted 1:1 for heavy cleaning application. So if some splashed into the pool, the GA would be heavily diluted and not to worrisome.

As I said, tell the contractor to be careful. You might need to cover the pool while they work.

FYI - DryTreat Eff-Erayza is a better product to use around pools as it is urea hydrogen chloride based which is easily broken down in pool water...
    so informed contractor and he seems to be doing well
    also showed him printout on Eff-Erayza

product also contains phosphoric acid? what about that one?
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

See these links -
    Dry-Treat | HANAFINN Eff-Erayza™
    http://www.drytreat.com/assets/pdf/S...ERAYZA_USA.pdf

It's 50% urea hydrogen chloride (urea with a hydrogen chloride acid adduct) so it is an acidic based cleaner designed specifically to remove efflorescence. The HCl gives it low pH and the urea acts as a chelating agent for different divalent metals (Ca2+, Mg2+, Fe2+/3+, etc). HCl has no effect on pools and the urea will be oxidized (slowly) by chlorine to chlorourea and eventually broken down by sunlight UV.
    Matt

7. Back To Top    #7

Phosphoric acid or vitamin B5 is harmless in these concentrations. You would get more exposure drinking a can of coke. It too will be broken down by the chlorine and be gone.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

thank you all
    contractor is doing nice job, splash will be much < ˝ gal

9. Back To Top    #9

I think contractor did well with the Restore.
    Next he sealed with Stonetech Enhancer Pro. This is organic so I guess did not mix with the water.
    A few splashes floated like transparent leaves and wound up in the skimmer.