Motor tripping

Apr 18, 2015
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have a 2hp Hayward Super 2 pump and the motor is tripping the breaker. I think the pump itself is fine. What is the best approach for an economical repair? If I wanted to upgrade to better equipment, what would you recommend for best value and performance?

I do have a small leak under the pump, perhaps a leaky seal? How to fix that?

Thanks,
Ryan McKenzie
13d5cb7af98f808e3457f0bd7ca8ead9.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You say you "think" the pump (motor?) is good. Have you tried to take the motor off the pump and see if the shaft/impeller spins ?? Might be that leak made it into the front bearing and it's seized.

It can be rebuilt and if you're doing it yourself it's not bad ($$). BUT if you have to pay someone to rebuild it you have the opportunity to take that money and upgrade to a two speed or variable speed motor and now would be the time. What you'd save in energy can make the upgrade quite reasonable.

IMHO, First thing is to turn off the power at the panels and pull the motor and see if it will spin.

Youtube might be helpful - - > Google

Electrician pulled the wires connecting to the motor and they were touching and causing the breaker to trip. Replaced the wires and we're back up and running. Motor and pump running good. Woohoo for cheap fixes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You should take a look at the videos. If you are seeping water between the back of the pump housing and the front of the motor it's just a matter of time till it makes it to the bearing so a seal kit might be in your future.

But for now it's time to :swim:

Could I do the pump seal change myself?

It's very easy to do, just make sure everything is properly seated and don't touch
the bearing seal mating surfaces when installing.

I did mine last fall in about 20 minutes. Get the seal kit for your pump that includes
ALL of the seals...on mine not only was the ceramic bearing seal shot (heavily pitted), but the impeller housing seal
was swelled up to 5 times size.

It's reasonably easy and doesn't take a lot of tools. Doing the bearings can be a nightmare depending on how much corrosion you get in there.
The videos are really good on walking you through the procedure and using a pair of disposable gloves helps keep your finger oils off the seals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.