Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor tripping

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor tripping

I have a 2hp Hayward Super 2 pump and the motor is tripping the breaker. I think the pump itself is fine. What is the best approach for an economical repair? If I wanted to upgrade to better equipment, what would you recommend for best value and performance?

I do have a small leak under the pump, perhaps a leaky seal? How to fix that?

Thanks,
    Ryan McKenzie

30K gal, IG plaster, ? HP Hayward model? pump, ? sqft Hayward model? sand filter, Hayward model? auto chlorine feeder (turned off), Dolphin cleaning robot (intermittent, would like something better), spa overflows to pool, heater busted (not plumbed in), 15+ years old, test kit (K2006).

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Motor tripping

You say you "think" the pump (motor?) is good. Have you tried to take the motor off the pump and see if the shaft/impeller spins ?? Might be that leak made it into the front bearing and it's seized.

It can be rebuilt and if you're doing it yourself it's not bad ($$). BUT if you have to pay someone to rebuild it you have the opportunity to take that money and upgrade to a two speed or variable speed motor and now would be the time. What you'd save in energy can make the upgrade quite reasonable.

IMHO, First thing is to turn off the power at the panels and pull the motor and see if it will spin.

Youtube might be helpful - - > Google
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Electrician pulled the wires connecting to the motor and they were touching and causing the breaker to trip. Replaced the wires and we're back up and running. Motor and pump running good. Woohoo for cheap fixes!

30K gal, IG plaster, ? HP Hayward model? pump, ? sqft Hayward model? sand filter, Hayward model? auto chlorine feeder (turned off), Dolphin cleaning robot (intermittent, would like something better), spa overflows to pool, heater busted (not plumbed in), 15+ years old, test kit (K2006).

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You should take a look at the videos. If you are seeping water between the back of the pump housing and the front of the motor it's just a matter of time till it makes it to the bearing so a seal kit might be in your future.

But for now it's time to
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes I will. Thx for the input. Could I do the pump seal change myself?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by rbmckenz13 View Post
    Could I do the pump seal change myself?
    It's very easy to do, just make sure everything is properly seated and don't touch
    the bearing seal mating surfaces when installing.

I did mine last fall in about 20 minutes. Get the seal kit for your pump that includes
    ALL of the seals...on mine not only was the ceramic bearing seal shot (heavily pitted), but the impeller housing seal
    was swelled up to 5 times size.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

It's reasonably easy and doesn't take a lot of tools. Doing the bearings can be a nightmare depending on how much corrosion you get in there.
    The videos are really good on walking you through the procedure and using a pair of disposable gloves helps keep your finger oils off the seals.