Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My pool is about 2.5' into the ground on the high side and 5" on the low side. I need to backfill it but not sure which way to proceed???

We have pretty cold winters here and I'm worried about frost heave if I just backfill dirt up against the pool.

Do I do a slurry mix and if so what is the ratio? like 1 80lb bag or concrete mix to how much sand, etc?

or do i just go straight up dirt for the backfill?

I'll have to contact them and ask but whether or not it is allowed, I'm gonna have to do something and that will mean filling in at least a foot but no more than two feet high. I can't keep having heavy rains wash down around the pool. LOL

We buried ours half-way. We put heavy gauge plastic against the pool then ran a French drain around the bottom. We put dirt around the pool being careful that no rocks sat against the wall. Then we put a 4 foot wide section of plastic completely around the pool making sure it sloped slightly away from the pool then covered it with rocks for a walkway. We just finished the path from the deck to the pool this morning.

Maybe build a retaining wall? Keep in mind, it may void your warranty. I would not put any plastic or barrier against the pool since it can trap moisture. Use drainage gravel to allow most of the water to drain away and any remaining moisture to evaporate.

To be clear, the plastic does not cover the pool, it is to trap water to the drain...so water can't get to the foundation. The side of the pool has dirt against it. The plastic at the top is for weeds but does a nice job of keeping the rain from washing down the side of the pool. We read the warranty and of course the op should read his as well.

On the low side, can you drain to daylight? If so, I would consider drainage stone with a French Drain at the bottom. I have had great success using them in several applications.

That was my original thought and yes I can drain to daylight. I might go with the option of building up the dirt just a little more around the base of the pool and getting it sloped towards the edge of the over dig. Then put in a french drain and drain it off to the low side.

Not sure we're discussing the same thing. The Drain pipe in a French drain needs to be on the dead bottom.....no fill underneath. Then drainage rock on top...virtually up to the level of the surrounding dirt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.