Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backfill and Slurry Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Backfill and Slurry Question

My pool is about 2.5' into the ground on the high side and 5" on the low side. I need to backfill it but not sure which way to proceed???

We have pretty cold winters here and I'm worried about frost heave if I just backfill dirt up against the pool.

Do I do a slurry mix and if so what is the ratio? like 1 80lb bag or concrete mix to how much sand, etc?

or do i just go straight up dirt for the backfill?
    AGP: 21' x 52" : 10,000 gallon
    100 lb. Sand Filter / 1 hp pump
    11-5 full sun

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backfill and Slurry Question

Is your pool approved for partial burial? If so, the manufacturer should specify what's allowed so the warranty isn't voided. I doubt it's a slurry mix. I think it's typically non-compactable material like drainage stone.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll have to contact them and ask but whether or not it is allowed, I'm gonna have to do something and that will mean filling in at least a foot but no more than two feet high. I can't keep having heavy rains wash down around the pool. LOL
    11-5 full sun

4. Back To Top    #4

We buried ours half-way. We put heavy gauge plastic against the pool then ran a French drain around the bottom. We put dirt around the pool being careful that no rocks sat against the wall. Then we put a 4 foot wide section of plastic completely around the pool making sure it sloped slightly away from the pool then covered it with rocks for a walkway. We just finished the path from the deck to the pool this morning.
    Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe build a retaining wall? Keep in mind, it may void your warranty. I would not put any plastic or barrier against the pool since it can trap moisture. Use drainage gravel to allow most of the water to drain away and any remaining moisture to evaporate.

6. Back To Top    #6

To be clear, the plastic does not cover the pool, it is to trap water to the drain...so water can't get to the foundation. The side of the pool has dirt against it. The plastic at the top is for weeds but does a nice job of keeping the rain from washing down the side of the pool. We read the warranty and of course the op should read his as well.
    Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

On the low side, can you drain to daylight? If so, I would consider drainage stone with a French Drain at the bottom. I have had great success using them in several applications.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    On the low side, can you drain to daylight? If so, I would consider drainage stone with a French Drain at the bottom. I have had great success using them in several applications.

That was my original thought and yes I can drain to daylight. I might go with the option of building up the dirt just a little more around the base of the pool and getting it sloped towards the edge of the over dig. Then put in a french drain and drain it off to the low side.
    11-5 full sun

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Not sure we're discussing the same thing. The Drain pipe in a French drain needs to be on the dead bottom.....no fill underneath. Then drainage rock on top...virtually up to the level of the surrounding dirt.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School