Spotty Algae

Aug 9, 2016
Ontario
Hello all:
So using the BBB method described here, I was able to mostly rid my pool of what I believe was mustard algae. We are new to the pool world and didn't catch on to the problem until it was waaaaaaay too late. We have it mostly under control now, three weeks later, and I have a lingering question: why are there still random spots of orange algae on the bottom of the pool every day? They seem to accumulate on the side where the filter is only. My problem is this - we have been keeping the pool at a very high chlorine level for weeks now trying to kill this algae. The water is now completely clear, it's just these spots on the pool floor that appear daily. Having to vacuum to waste every single day is killing my water bill, because I have to refill two feet of water every day in the pool, and also add more chemicals because of the dilution. When can I start vacuuming through the filter, and why is this orange algae still appearing even though the chlorine levels are being kept outrageously high? Pool is 16' x 48", vinyl pop-up above ground (Intex brand). Approximately 5000 gallons. Krystal clear sand filter that we run 24/7. I only have test strips - I know I will be told to invest in a better test system but we are out of money for pool upkeep this season. Getting rid of the algae cost us over $1000 already in pool store chemicals and equipment before we switched to BBB. Right now chlorine is high, bromine is high, alkalinity is low, ph and hardness are in the ok range. Please help - I can't afford to keep filling my pool back up after vacuuming every day! Thanks in advance :)

I can't tell from the strips. We have almost completely replaced the water at this point, so I added 300g of stabilizer this morning. I am going to take a sample to the pool store to be tested tonight, they do it for free even if you don't buy anything. Don't know if it matters or not, but at one point the pool was completely and totally swamp green, could not even see one inch into the water. Chlorinated and floc-ed the life out of it at that point, and got rid of most of it through vacuuming. As I said above, water is now nice and clear, just these troublesome re-appearing orange spots seem to be left. Vacuuming to waste every single day is waaaaay too expensive, but it seems to be the only way to keep them at bay...

Last edited:
So as everyone else would say, buy a TF 100 test kit... that will let you know. 4 or 5 FC may be nothing, and test strips aren't correct most of the time. mine is at 9 to 12 FC all the time cause my CYA is about 100

Yes, unfortunately I live in Canada and the Taylor kits are crazy expensive. We are going to buy one next year but this year I can't spend any more money on equipment. Just kinda hoping someone could help with the vacuuming issue...

May all be related to not knowing any number properly. if you spent 1000 bucks, id say spend the extra on the shipping to get one. if you aren't adding things properly, stuff keeps growing and it will be never ending.

So in regards to the vacuuming though, can I vacuum the small spots using the filter setting? Or do I have to still constantly be vacuuming to waste? I'm not getting the test kit this year, there's nothing I can do about that part. We have to make do with what we have for this year. Any advice anyone can give that doesn't involve being told to get the kit? I mention it in my original post specifically so that people would know right away that that wasn't an option. Thanks in advance.

Everything we teach is based on precise testing of your pool water. Since you say up front you are not going to do accurate testing, what advice do you think we could possibly give you?

Agreed. You can't kill the algae if you can't properly chlorinate the pool. And you can't properly chlorinate your pool if you can't test CYA so the algae battle will never end. As you have seen using the pool store methods. Your choices really are to limp along like you are or drain it/close it and get a kit at the beginning of next season. You will certainly spend much less than a 1000 bucks next year. And your pool will stay clear and algae free if you follow TFPC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so I'm still wondering about about the vacuuming issue? Do you have to vacuum to "waste" for small amounts of algae or not?? I can handle not having a perfectly balanced pool for the remaining 3 weeks of the season. If it were the beginning of the summer I would start over and buy a high-end test kit. Unfortunately it's almost the end of the season where I live, so draining and re-filling the pool and/or spending another couple of hundred dollars for a kit are not going to be options that make sense at this point. I would just like to know if I can vacuum it without wasting so much water. Thanks in advance, again.

I don't know, I don't use a vacuum. I do know that active algae will very quickly clog up a filter. But, maybe it will use less water to clean the fiter then it will to vac to waste. I don't know what kind of filter you have. Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you, more here on what to add and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.