Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to start before SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to start before SLAM

My results as of about 6am this morning are below. My question is where do I start? I'm assuming adjust the PH first? What effect will that have on my other numbers?

FC: 0
    CC: 0
    PH: 8
    TA: 60
    CH: 350
    CYA: the dot never disappeared

This is a 30k gallon plaster pool. Standard DE filter and single speed pump. I have an older SWG that hasn't been used in a while (meaning the pool has been run as regular since we bought the house).

Any help is appreciated.
    30,000 gallon IG
    Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter
    Single-Speed Pump (don't know make)
    Aqua Rite Controller w/Turbo Cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to start before SLAM

You do need to lower the pH to 7.2 - correct. At the same time though, get some stabilizer in there ASAP for a beginning CYA level of 30.
    To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
    Once the pH is confirmed at 7.2, then increase FC to 12 and maintain that FC until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Sounds "simple" enough. Will get started this evening.

So just a regular sock?
    30,000 gallon IG

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, but I'd use a white one.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Thanks. Sounds "simple" enough. Will get started this evening.

So just a regular sock?
    Yep... tube sock type 1 each... Tie it off in front of the return and let it flop around until it dissolves..
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for everyone's help...
    30,000 gallon IG