New DE Filter - DE blowing out from return

Jul 31, 2015
Windham, NH
I just replaced our sand filter with an AC DE-95 Filter. First time I set it up and got things running I added the DE powder as instructed thru the skimmer. It immediately blew out into the pool from the return. I called the pool store and they suggested that it could just be the force of the pump caused this. It seemed as if the DE was filtered out of the pool because we didn't see any right away. The next day I noticed that it had settled all over the bottom of the pool. Today I emptied the filter and washed it, rinsed out the filter and everything. Put it all back and I just can't seem to figure why the DE is blowing back out. I added the DE and it once again blew back out thru the return. Any ideas what could be causing this? From what I've read, DE powder should never be going back into the pool. I was able to vacuum it up, but some more came out again but not as much.

Assuming the amount of DE added was correct, I guess the big concern for me at this point would be the integrity of the filter manifold, fingers, and/or grids. If any of those have a tear, crack, or are compromised in any way, it will allow DE to flow right-on through back to the pool. Hopefully the multiport (or plunger) valve is operating correctly as well. A thorough inspection may be in order soon unless other suggestions follow.

What is the multi port or plunger valve? I emptied the unit twice and inspected it and can't seem to find the problem. The element seems fully intact. The big difference of this filter from the sand filter is the force of the water. There is a significant increase in the flow of water back into the pool. Could the force of the water have anything to dow with it? Our pump doesn't have the option to change anything. I called the pool store and I'm waiting to hear back from them. So annoyed. I thought this filter was a good idea, it's been nothing but a headache. Do you think the pool is safe to swim in? The levels are fine other than the DE debris that is now in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.