Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green pool when filter was broken

1. Back To Top    #1

Green pool when filter was broken

Pool has gone green due to a part on the filter breaking, have finally got the part and installed it and filter back in operation. Whilst filter was out of commission I left the pool on recirculation and kept a check on the chemical levels, now that I have put the filter back in service will the water clear up or will I have to slam it? The filter has just been changed with glass as the medium and is virtually unused. Any help much appreciated It is the bigger of the 2 pools in my sig....
    10300 Gallon vinyl pool, 0.75 Kripsol pump, glass filter, Pool Exact EZ photometer tester.
    9500 Gallon vinyl pool, 0.75 Kripsol pump, glass filter, Pool Exact EZ photometer tester.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green pool when filter was broken

I would not have expected a pool to go green simply because of no filtration. What FC levels were you maintaining and what is your CYA? Were you still routinely brushing the pool?

The pool will clear up, but you'll need to SLAM it if it's green.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Unfortunately the pump has now failed and a new one will not be available until next Tuesday, I will wait for the pump and once installed I will start the slamming process.
    10300 Gallon vinyl pool, 0.75 Kripsol pump, glass filter, Pool Exact EZ photometer tester.
    9500 Gallon vinyl pool, 0.75 Kripsol pump, glass filter, Pool Exact EZ photometer tester.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the meantime you can always add liquid chlorine and brush to help maintain the water.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I had to shut my pump down last year for a little while and would still put chlorine in, brush AND run my pool vacuum to keep the water and chlorine circulating. No green.

6. Back To Top    #6

As suggested, that's what I was getting at in my reply. A pool can be kept sanitized and algae free for weeks without a pool pump. It's just quite a bit more work. Must be brushed every day to maintain circulation. Running a robotic cleaner can help as well.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I do not live at the property and Algae has already formed, fortunately a new pump was fitted yesterday (Friday) I am now in the process of slamming it...

8. Back To Top    #8

Slamming now in progress, pool has changed colour from a really dark green to a cloudy blue in 24 hours, will continue to slam until it passes all 3 tests for an algae free pool, thank god for this site, it is absolutely brilliant....

9. Back To Top    #9

Glad to hear that you can now attack that algae! Feel free to post test results as your progress. And pictures! Pictures are great!

10. Back To Top    #10

These are the photos of the green pool, I am still slamming as the water has a slightly dull/cloudy appearance to it. It is nearly 2 weeks since I started the slam, is this normal or should the slam be complete by now?

Screenshot from 2016-08-25 15:26:57.jpg20160814_112200.jpg20160821_102859.jpg20160824_101509.jpg

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks like you're getting close! It can take quite a while if the pool is fairly green. At this point, it's up to your filtration to get the water clear but you must maintain FC at SLAM levels during the process. What is meant by "glass" filter. Are you using a sand alternative in the filter? Have you tried adding some diatomaceous earth (DE) to the filter to enhance filtration? Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi, yes I have replaced the spent sand with crushed glass. My own pool filter was changed to glass last year and the water has never been clearer.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have now concluded I have mustard algae, therefore I have raised the FC up to the figure quoted for slamming this type of algae. I have been in the pool today and had both the pool lights out, could not believe how much algae there was behind the shallow end light, both lights and niches are now spotless. Have been under the ladders with a fine tooth comb, so once again they are spotless. The pool is being brushed regularly during this time. I will continue this type of slam for 24 hours and then start to bring the FC down. Do I bring it down to normal levels or down to slam levels?

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by dojoman59 View Post
    I have now concluded I have mustard algae, therefore I have raised the FC up to the figure quoted for slamming this type of algae. I have been in the pool today and had both the pool lights out, could not believe how much algae there was behind the shallow end light, both lights and niches are now spotless. Have been under the ladders with a fine tooth comb, so once again they are spotless. The pool is being brushed regularly during this time. I will continue this type of slam for 24 hours and then start to bring the FC down. Do I bring it down to normal levels or down to slam levels?
    How did you determine that you have mustard algae? Mustard algae is very rare.

Regardless, you do not raise FC to mustard levels until after you complete a standard SLAM.

From the sound of things you are not even close to completing a SLAM (cloudy water, visible algae etc).
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-mustard-algae

I think at this point you are just wasting chlorine raising it to MA level.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how are you testing, and please post recent results for FC, CC & CYA
    Last edited by domct203; 09-07-2016 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Hi, thanks for the reply. I came to this conclusion after I had completed a slam. The pool passed all 3 criteria for the slam, but when I started bringing the FC level down, this algae kept appearing. I did loads of research online and the description For MA was identical to the symptoms in the pool.

16. Back To Top    #16

I now have crystal clear water, the pool has passed all 3 criteria for the slam process. The mustard algae has gone and the pool looks like the other 2 that I look after. Here are my latest readings,
    FC 7.1
    CC 0
    TA 84
    PH 7.4
    CYA 47

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Great news!!

Just a note: Sand has been around for millions of years and does not get old or break down. Occasionally, it does need a deep clean, but full replacement is only needed if clogged up and stuck together through the use of pool $tore potions.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

18. Back To Top    #18

Hi, thanks for the reply, I did do a deep clean before I refilled the pool, however when I started to use the filtration system again the rubbish I was vaccing was coming straight back into the pool, that is why I opted for a glass medium. The pool builders here quite often do not use the correct sand for pool filtration but will tell you they have. The glass here is very reasonably priced, and since changing over to glass the water is keeping very clean.20160910_111440.jpgHere is the latest photo of the pool now....

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Pool looks great! I understand about the sand and your reasoning is solid. We had some issues what that last year and early this year. Sand that was labeled pool sand but was not properly sized for pool filter use.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir