dead algae

Aug 9, 2016
Toledo, OH
I have a question about getting dead algae out of the bottom of our above ground pool. we have a round, 13,500 gallon pool, 4' deep, 24' across. Our pump went out last year, and in the process of deciding and finding a replacement pump, our pool got pretty green. We got another pump (Intex cartridge pump) and killed about all of the algae, but now there is dead, brown algae on the bottom of the pool. we have a vacuum that hooks up to the pump but all it does is send the algae through the pump and spits most of it back into the pool. As I do not have a sand filter, does anyone have a suggestion for getting the dead algae off of the bottom of the pool? I thought about just vacuuming it out without using the pump and putting more water in it from our well if need be, but I hate to do that if I don't have to. I have not tested the water in the pool in the last few days. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Based on your description, you have a few things to watch-out for an consider:
- The Intex cartridge filters (Type A or B) are small and don't have the greatest filtration capacity. This would require more frequent rinsing to remove dead algae. Unfortunately you probably don't have the capability to backwash to waste. Perhaps a filter upgrade might be something to consider later?
- You have not tested the water recently, so I would have my concerns that all algae is actually killed.
- Do you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit? Ideally it would be good to see a full set of water test results from one of those kits.
- Water from a well usually means metals (iron). That's something else that needs to be factored-into the equation so you understand what to look for if you've never managed metal water before. You may want to review the Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page.

Nice to have you with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.