New to forum- Question about protecting 20 yr old pool during backyard makeover

Aug 7, 2016
Florida
Hello all,
I am a DIY pool maintainer of my 20 yr old pool in the back yard of our 20 yr old home, in which we have lived for the last 2 years. We are about to undertake a complete overhaul of our backyard, to include the replacement of the patio pavers and the concrete decking underneath them, but not the pool coping. It was replaced 4 years ago and is fine. We are also removing the existing landscaping all around the pool and back yard, in addition to the rest of the landscaping around the house. We will also be removing trees close to the pool. The landscape contractor has told me that they generally drain the pools down to 1/2-1/3 level and turn them off when undertaking projects such as these. I live in north central Florida. I have concern about the water table level being that I live in Florida, but I have only lived here 2 years so not sure if it will be a factor or not. I know the previous owners drained the pool 4 years ago to re plaster the floor and replace the tile, coping and lighting. The landscape and patio over haul will take considerably longer than the upgrades that were done 4 years ago. I can't imagine the work taking less than the range of 2-3 weeks, possibly more. Should I do as the landscape contractor has recommended or leave the pool filled? And if I leave it filled, does anyone have recommendations on whether to cover it (and how?) and how to keep it clean and get chemicals in it if covered? Perhaps someone has had an experience similar to this. Thanks for any recommendations.

If you are in the section of Florida that is currently getting hammered by rain I would hold off on draining the pool. If you signed a contract I would check for clauses defining responsibility if your property is damaged during their work, and make sure they have liability insurance.

If you are not in the part of Florida that is flooding, draining down to 1/2 should be safe. You can cover the pool with heavy duty tarps, but they will probably need to move them to work on the areas next to the coping. I would make sure the scope of work covers removing debris from the pool. You may want to ask for references from other customers with pools so you can talk to them and see if they were happy with the condition the pool was left in after the job was finished.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.