Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ethylene glycol and rubber

1. Back To Top    #1

ethylene glycol and rubber

I typically use an expandable rubber plug in my skimmer when I close my pool for winter. I pour good amount of ethylene glycol based antifreeze into it and stuff some pool noodles. Last year somehow I didnít get much additional water into it over the winter and antifreeze stayed undiluted. The top part of the plug had rubber all shriveled and misshaped. Which seems to be an effect from the ethylene glycol. Which is not a big deal, since a rubber plug is under $10 and can buy new ones every season.

This upcoming winter will be my first one with solar system. I planned on adding some glycol to the pipes around check valves, 3 way valve and possibly bottom header of the panels. But now Iím concerned with rubber gaskets on the expensive valves and connecting rubber hoses between the panel that form the bottom header.

I tried to find if glycol indeed reacts with rubber and it seemed to be a case. However there are tons of different rubber types.. So Iím wondering if anyone had an experience/knowledge with this and can share something thoughts. I found this page about rubber resistance, but not sure how helpful it really is:

http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-3
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

ethylene glycol and rubber

The proper type of antifreeze for pools is propylene glycol (RV antifreeze) NOT ethylene glycol (automotive antifreeze). Please confirm you are using the proper kind of antifreeze because automotive antifreeze would create a toxic mess in your pool. Automotive antifreeze is typically iridescent green [EDIT] or orange[END-EDIT] while RV antifreeze is typically bright [EDIT] pink [END-EDIT]. The primary component of RV antifreeze should be listed as propylene glycol.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: ethylene glycol and rubber

sorry, you're right. it's propylene glycol!

looking at the chart (5th page on the link i posted for propylene), it looks propylene glycol is more corrosive than ethylene one...
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

JoyfulNoise you are correct except . . . RV is usually pink. Automotive Dex-Cool for GM's is orange. Small thing but don't want someone to make the mistake.
    Either one should be safe around rubber. The RV especially as it's used in the water system where there are usually rubber O rings, washers and gaskets. Not sure how either would react to the "noodle" ??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?į too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I had a moment of color dyslexia. I totally remember that RV is pink and that's the image I have in my brain but for some reason I wrote orange....oh well, I guess that's why I'm not allowed to dress the kids
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Do I know that feeling (dyslexia).
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?į too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!