Hello, newbie here

May 19, 2009
Southern Md
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I found this awesome forum, started posting questions right away, and realized that it was pretty rude to post questions to a new forum and not even properly introduce myself, so for that I apologize. Hope it is accepted:-D I was just a little overwhelmed with this whole process.

I am Christine from Southern Md. and kind of a newbie pool owner. I have had several Intex type pools over the last 10 years and they were okay, so we decided that maybe an above ground pool wouldn't be such a bad thing. Currently, my new pool is in an assortment of boxes under my deck.
We considered an in ground pool, but since I run a childcare before and after program out of part of my home I just wasn't comfortable with that quite just yet. Possibly if or when I retire we can have the in ground but I am not there yet.
I plan on making this pool totally inaccessible to the children, locking ladder and totally surrounded by a deck with a self locking gate and an alarm as safety is my first and most important concern. Most of my children in my care are older school age kids and I usually have a small group, but they are kids and need constant supervision (if they didn't, I wouldn't have a job, :wink: ) so I am open to any safety suggestions, any members here may have that I have not thought of.
Pool water care also has me slightly stressed. I don't want gross, nasty water. With the Intex pools I would just drain them and start all over if I didn't like how the water looked. Not sure if that is an option with a bigger pool.
Anyway, here is a picture of my "pool pit" we have so far. Hopefully, this upcoming Saturday we will be ready for sand!

Christine,
A Very Excited New Pool Owner!

You're gonna be fine.

No worries on the posting first, everyone does it.

So keep reading Pool School, get the good test kit, and post if you are unsure about anything, you'll be fine! ITs a lot to take in at first, but it won't be long before you're an old pro. Having had the Intex experiences will be helpful for you.

Welcome to TFP,
Glad to see your so safety consious. Pool School at the top of the page is a good place to start. A good test kit is well worth the money. Like the TF100 myself.

Man, frustratedpoolmom types faster than I read! :goodjob:

Thanks!

I hope I figure it all out!
I have " nasty pool water anxiety" bigtime.
I think it stems from a childhood experience.

Here is the pool I am pretty sure we have. I hope no one has had a bad experience with this brand: