Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A lot of water loss after long periods of running pump

1. Back To Top    #1

A lot of water loss after long periods of running pump

Hello. We seem to have to fill our pool quite often. We have an automatic pool cover which is supposed to keep evaporation at bay. Most days, I run the pool for 4 hours and we lose 1/2 inch or so. However, I forgot to turn the pump off for about 24 hours and the water dropped at least 3 or 4 inches (automatic pool cover was on). I also almost always run the polaris at the same time as the pump. (Maybe I'm overdoing the polaris?) Any tips on how to diagnose or should we just leave it to the professionals? Possibly turn off one skimmer or one return at a time to systematically check for leaks? Thanks.
    40,000 gallon vinyl in-ground SWG (but we think it's broken) so we don't use as a SWG. Cartridge filter. Taylor K-2006 kit. Well water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A lot of water loss after long periods of running pump

Had that issue once.. There was a leak in the return line.. Do you see bubbles in the return or the filter pump basket cover
    Older in ground oddly shaped pool 24,000 gallons gunite
    Hayward EC 75 De filter w/ fingers
    no multi port valve

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jdudge View Post
    Had that issue once.. There was a leak in the return line.. Do you see bubbles in the return or the filter pump basket cover
    We always have a lot of bubbling as soon as I turn on the pump (you can hear it as soon as it is turned on) but just for a minute or so. Is that how yours was? I'll have to check and see if there are bubbles in the filter pump basket.
    40,000 gallon vinyl in-ground SWG (but we think it's broken) so we don't use as a SWG. Cartridge filter. Taylor K-2006 kit. Well water.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds Familiar unfortunately
    Older in ground oddly shaped pool 24,000 gallons gunite
    Hayward EC 75 De filter w/ fingers
    no multi port valve