DE Back up into pump

jdudge

Jul 31, 2016
chester ny
While trying to fix the DE into the pool problem I noticed this am that there was green DE looking water that backed up into the clear tube that leads to the pump as well as the covered filter basket on the pump.. It's never done that before.. Could that be related to the DE into the pool problem..

:bump: Not totally sure the two are related at this point. When we think of DE going "into" the pool from a return, we think of a compromised grid or finger - something letting the DE get past the filtration area. When DE and water flows backwards towards the pump (when off) we look at a possible equalization issue. A common example is a small leak that allows air to enter the system and then lets water flow backwards. Some systems might tend to allow water to flow backwards based on the way the components are configured, elevation, etc. Some folks have a check valve installed to help prevent such things and to also help keep the pump primed.

The other thing that stands-out is your comment about "green water". Don't think that's a good sign. Are you battling algae at the moment by doing a "SLAM"? If you need any help with that or would like to post a full set of test results feel free to do so.

I just found a new Hayward C 75A for $477. Problem solved. I was searching for answers when I came upon a blog that said the lifespan of a DE filter is about 10 years. My filter came with the house when I bought it 20 years ago. Between the $ for parts and chemicals that I'm burning through it made sense to me..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.